Q&A with Hayley Carter, two-time ACC Player of the Year

North Carolina senior women's tennis player Hayley Carter was named ACC Player of the Year on Thursday for the second straight season.

North Carolina senior women's tennis player Hayley Carter was named ACC Player of the Year on 
Thursday for the second straight season.

For the second time in as many seasons, senior Hayley Carter has been named the ACC Women’s Tennis Player of the Year. She headlines the All-ACC First Team as the sole four-time honoree. This is the fifth year in a row a North Carolina player has won ACC Player of the year.

Carter has become the most decorated player in program history. She was the 2016 ACC Tournament MVP and ACC Scholar-Athlete of the Year, and she’s the first Tar Heel to be named first-team All-ACC in four straight seasons since Katrina Tsang (1997-2000). Carter has left the UNC singles record in the dust, and she rewrote the ACC record books this past weekend with her 163rd singles win, the most in conference history.

Staff writer Madeline Coleman spoke with Carter about her award-winning season and the emotions of her senior season before top-seeded UNC starts ACC Tournament play against Florida State today at 1 p.m. Then, the Tar Heels will begin their run for what they hope is a second straight ACC Tournament title.

The Daily Tar Heel: How does it feel to be named the ACC Player of the Year and earn All-ACC honors for the fourth year in a row?

Hayley Carter: It feels unbelievable. ACC Player of the Year is actually something I’ve been aiming for since the beginning of the season, so it’s nice to see it finally come true.

DTH: How does it feel to repeat as the ACC Player of the Year two seasons in a row?

HC: Something super, super special. One of my best friends, Chris Eubanks, is actually on the Georgia Tech team. He won it last year, and we don’t know if he’s going to win it this year, but that was our goal going into the season, just to try and repeat together. It’s exciting.

DTH: With all the emotions this season, including your dad passing away, how were you able to stay level on the court?

HC: I think it was definitely something I had to work harder on and focus more on. But in a way, I think that’s what made it better. Before going into every match, I talked to my coaches and just made sure that I was in the right mindset going into the match. And I definitely think it paid off.

DTH: Do you think the emotions made you play harder this season?

HC: Definitely when my dad was slowing down. Because the best part of my day was telling him, or having my mom tell him, that I won the match and him having the biggest smile. Now, it’s just playing for him. I think the emotions have brought a whole new intangible to my game, for sure.

DTH: You always talk about how leaving a legacy is leaving history. What kind of legacy do you feel you are leaving behind at North Carolina, aside from the honors?

HC: Someone who did well on the court and in the classroom. Just somebody who gave every single thing she had to the University. Every time I stepped onto the court or into the classroom, I gave it everything I had. I put my heart and soul into this program to try and show everyone else how great it was. That’s hopefully the legacy I’ll be leaving.

DTH: What emotions are you dealing with right now heading into your final ACC Tournament?

HC: I’m very, very excited, but also a little sensitive since it’s my last (ACC Tournament). It’s one of my favorite tournaments of the year. Hopefully, I can go out with a bang here.

@mcw13_3