Secret fashion show presents UNC sophomore's second collection

James Creissen, a sophomore business major, poses in front of a rack of clothes he designed. Creissen held a fashion show on East Rosemary Street Thursday night.

High heels, body glitter, shiny skirts — a student-run secret fashion show lit up the night.

The fashion show was organized by James Creissen, a sophomore business major in collaboration with Coulture Magazine

“The idea for this secret fashion show is to present my second collection and from my first collection I did more of a lounge party, I didn’t have any runway and models,” Creissen said. “So for this one, I really want to do something bigger and more immersive experience for people to come and see.”

Creissen kept this event as a secret, giving people links in his advertisements to RSVP their attendance to get notices about location of this show. The show was held at 136 Rosemary Street. 

“I really want to make it something that people who are interested and cared to go to,” Creissen said. “That wasn’t just another Facebook event because that’s something that you see a lot of times on campus.”

A variety of designs were shown in his 10 minute fashion show. Creissen wanted to try different styles and break boundaries.

“I really like designing everything," Creissen said. "I think in terms of what I enjoy designing most, it's forms that haven’t been done before, and it’s also designing things that are, you know, intelligently designed at the same time and their little subtleties to piece that you don’t notice at first."

Olivia Holmes, a sophomore modeling in the show, said this is definitely a different experience than any of her previous experiences of modeling. 

“I think it’s more satisfying, more fulfilling,” she said. “It’s pretty inspiring to see how hard James has worked and how much effort he has put into his clothes and what he is passionate about.”

Creissen did not do this fashion show just for fun — he considers the fashion industry as a serious business venture he wants to seek after graduation.

“It would be my most preferred outcome that I can continue grow this here at Carolina and really fully, post graduation, go with it, keep developing the business,” he said.

Creissen will spend the summer at a French design school to further study design. 

At the end of this semester, he said he was excited about his last event hosted on campus.

Sophomore Connor Von Steen came to his first fashion show ever in support of Creissen. 

“I think it’s amazing that he wanted to do something and he went out there and did it," Von Steen said. "I think that’s impressive."