Seniors revel in end-of-year bar golf tradition

He's Not Here is one of the bars in downtown Chapel Hill participating in Senior Bar Golf. 

During senior year, UNC students become prepared for a lot of things — jobs, graduate schools and dressing like a country club mom.

Seniors packed their clubs and donned their visors Thursday for UNC's most official unofficial pre-graduation tradition: Senior Bar Golf. The country club-themed bar crawl has simple rules: Go to as many participating bars as you can and order drinks off of your "scorecard" to get the most negative points possible. 

A $2 PBR draft from R&R was a par (zero points), a $4 Tar Heel Shot from La Res was a birdie (negative one) and an $8 Craft Blue Cup from He's Not was an eagle (negative two).

“It feels good, we’ve been to several different places," senior Lauren Clance said. "We’ve been to Carolina Ale House, TOPO and the Library and now here (Linda’s). I’m at seven under right now, winning the PGA tour.”

Senior golfers could also bring along "caddies" — underclassmen who were at least 21 — to finish their drinks for them.

Senior Matthew Stormont said bringing caddies was a good way to prepare juniors for what's next for them. 

"It kind of brings everyone together and gets the people coming up next year ready,” Stormont said.

Senior Sarah Koucheki said bar golf was a great way to let off stress before finals.

“I turned 21 last April and wasn’t able to enjoy caddying last year," Koucheki said. "This year, I’ve been to TOPO, the Strowd, Goodfellows and Linda’s."

Senior Hannah Sykes agrees, saying the fun atmosphere of the event was a great way to relieve pressure from papers, finals and job searches. 

“Tonight’s been amazing, everyone’s decked out in their golf attire and nobody cares, and such a wonderful environment," Sykes said. "It’s like the Masters times 10.”

But bar golf prepared seniors for more than finals — it prepared them to say goodbye to the past four years.

“For me, it’s been like all those people who you’ve lost connection with have all come together and it’s become a great bonding experience I wouldn’t trade for the world," senior Hannah Petersen said.

@sethpyle22

swerve@dailytarheel.com