The Bridge gives a voice to black and Latina women

Photo courtesy of Cameron Ulmer

Photo courtesy of Cameron Ulmer

Students will let their voice be heard at The Bridge’s first ever UNC "Milk and Honey" event this Tuesday from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Sonja Haynes Stone Center for Black Culture and History. 

Duke sophomore Kristel Black said The Bridge is an online publication that started at UNC and Duke to bridge together the communities of Black and Latina women. 

“The goal is to become a national publication that reaches all black and Latina women by basically celebrating their talents, art and beauty,” she said. “It’s just a space for them to contribute in ways that we don’t see on our campuses.”

Milk and Honey is a night dedicated to providing a stage for people to be heard through dance, poetry, song, instrument or any other type of performance.

Black said the inspiration for the event actually came from a poetry book.

“Rupi Kaur wrote a poem book called ‘Milk and Honey’ that is useful for any situation,” she said. “The poems are very genuine, but they’re also biblical too.” 

First-year Cameron Ulmer expressed her love for the book. "Our backs tell stories / no books have the spine to carry" is her favorite line.

Ulmer said the event has been in the works since March to raise awareness about the online publication’s mission.

“The event is a celebration of women,” she said. “We’re trying to build up The Bridge’s presence at UNC more this year.”

Black said there needs to be more events on campus focusing on black and Latina women.

“There are spoken word showcases on campus, but we didn’t think there was one that specifically celebrates black and Latina women,” she said. “It’s a public event for The Bridge to give us a more personal goal of letting people see what we’re actually doing — showing the real talents that people have, not just on the internet.”

Although the event is a space for black and Latina women, anyone can perform as long as they're respectful of the space.

First-year Nya Anthony said she is excited to see first-year Reana Johnson perform. 

“Reana is doing spoken word, and I think she’s doing a piece from a play she was in that I produced,” she said.

Black stressed the importance of sharing women’s gifts with the world.

“People have these talents and people are doing these kinds of works,” she said. “It’s a good opportunity to bring the community together and celebrate black and Latina women, because in reality, when are these times available? When do we specifically celebrate us?”

Anthony said the event is a good outlet for those stressed by exams.

“I feel like for women of color on campus to have a space to give people their art — it’s not only uplifting, but it’s also encouraging, especially with exams coming up,” she said.

“We want a space so you can get your creative side out.”

@adamphan_

swerve@dailytarheel.com