UNC men's golf finishes fifth at The Aggie Invitational

The North Carolina men’s golf team put on another strong performance this weekend at the Aggie Invitational in Bryan, TX. The team tied for fifth place out of 13 teams, shooting a team score of 581, 5-over-par.

Junior William Register led the way through the first round, shooting an impressive 1-over-par with a score of 73. Teammates Ben Griffin and Jose Montano struggled to find their rhythm, with Griffin shooting 6-over-par and Montano shooting 4-over-par. Together, the Tar Heels shot a team score of 298, which placed them tied for sixth with Kent State.

The second round showed a much more poised North Carolina team. Despite a poor first round, Junior Ben Griffin finished with a season best score of 68, 4-under-par. Register followed Griffin with another impressive performance, shooting 2-under par. Senior Henry Do also found his mark and finished with a score of 72, even-to-par. With a strong second round, North Carolina crept past Kent State and finished tied for fifth place with Texas.

Register’s consistent play through the two rounds provided a great model for his teammates.

“William, as well as many of the other guys on the team, bounced back well from the Seahawk tournament,” head coach Andrew Sapp said.

Finishing with a combined score of 143, 1-under-par, Register notched an individual rank of 14.

“He had a good game plan, “Sapp said. “He did a really good job in the practice round, getting to know the course.”

Thanks to a smaller-than-normal two round tournament, North Carolina was never out of it. Despite a poor start, the Tar Heels were within two swings of fifth place at the end of the first round. Sparked by players Register and Griffin, the Heels were able to muster a strong finish — tied for fifth overall.

Following a similar outing at the Seahawk Invitational, North Carolina hopes to continue its streak of strong performances. With the ACC Championship approaching in three weeks, the Tar Heels hope to maintain consistent play in the last remaining tournament next week.

Where do they play next?

The Tar Heels compete in their final regular season tournament next weekend at the Cabarrus County Irish Creek Intercollegiate in Kannapolis, NC.