UNC men's tennis dominates in 6-1 win over Miami

The No. 11 North Carolina men’s tennis team (17-2, 6-1 ACC) remain undefeated at home after claiming a 6-1 win over Miami (6-8, 0-5 ACC).

The Tar Heels began the match strong, winning the point for doubles — starting off with a 6-4 victory by Ronnie Schneider and sophomore Anu Kodali. Second to finish were senior Jack Murray and first-year Simon Soendergaard, losing 6-3. The No. 16 team of first-year William Blumberg and junior Robert Kelly brought the Tar Heels back on top to gain the doubles point after winning 7-5.

Five of the six singles players won their matches, as No. 19 Schneider later lost his singles match 5-7, 4-6. No. 31 Blumberg’s match was the last to finish and the only match to go into a third set. He won the first 7-5, lost the second 6-4 and came back in the third to win the match.

Both members of the only Tar Heel doubles team to lose, Murray and Soendergaard, bounced back for their singles matches to win. Soendergaard’s matches against senior Jesse Flores were tight with scores 7-5, 6-4, while Murray crushed junior Kevin Bondar 6-1, 6-0.

North Carolina led the match with sophomore Blaine Boyden’s win to seal the victory for the Tar Heels on court six. Schneider’s loss to No. 73 Piotr Lomacki was the fifth match to finish, after Boyden's win sealed the Tar Heels' victory.

This was North Carolina’s second match outdoors after being forced indoors for two weeks. It is important for the Tar Heels to get practice playing outdoors, as they took time to get acclimated to playing outdoors against Tulsa last week. They will try to play as many matches outdoors as possible.

Where do they play next?

North Carolina will play at home again Sunday at 12 p.m. against Florida State.