UNC places second nationally in annual college ranking

The Old Well at UNC-Chapel Hil.

The Old Well at UNC-Chapel Hil.

On Tuesday, UNC was ranked the second best public college in the U.S. by Business First, a Buffalo-based publication owned by American City Business Journals Incorporated. American City Business Journals owns publications like Triangle Business Journal, Triad Business Journal and more. 

The annual ranking of 499 public colleges is based on a 22-part formula. Using data from the National Center for Education Statistics and the U.S. Census Bureau’s American Community Survey, Business First ranks schools based on indicators like academic excellence, affordability, diversity and economic strength.

The release of the Business First ranking was unfortunately timed, coming out the day after the Tar Heels won its sixth NCAA championship. It seems to have made UNC students especially hesitant to accept anything less than being number one.

“That's bullshit," sophomore Claire Lynch said about the ranking. "We are number one in everything.”

Sophomore Toddy Collett had a similar reaction.

“We should be number one," he said. "That’s my thought.”

UNC ranked number one in the Business First ranking last year, but the University of Michigan was rated as the 2017 top school.

Campus was still buzzing from the win when these students were being interviewed. Many students were still adjusting after the thrill of rushing Franklin Street and accepting the end of basketball season. 

“Last night was the best night of my life,” sophomore Kate Oldham said. “Carolina is the best school there is, without a doubt.” dir