UNC Title IX office decides Artis did not violate UNC policy in sexual assault case

“Allen Artis has been notified by the University of North Carolina’s Title IX Compliance Coordinator that after a ‘thorough investigation,’ UNC found that Mr. Artis did not violate any UNC policy as claimed by Delaney Robinson on February 14, 2016,” said Kerry Sutton, Artis’ lawyer from Sutton & Lindsay’s Durham office, in an email.

Robinson filed a report about her assault on March 9, 2016, to the Equal Opportunity and Compliance Office. Then, she said in a press conference that because she was upset with the way her case was being handled, she submitted self-sworn misdemeanor charges against Artis on Sept. 13, 2016.

Robinson and her lawyer, Denise Branch of the Raleigh firm Stuart Law, have decided to appeal UNC’s decision.

“Ms. Robinson is shocked and dismayed by the failure of UNC Title IX office to hold Mr. Artis accountable for his actions,” Branch said in a statement.

Artis is still facing the misdemeanor charges Robinson and Branch filed in September 2016. The date for the court case is still unknown.

“Mr. Artis still faces the misdemeanor civilian warrant initiated by Ms. Robinson on September 13, 2016, and maintains his innocence in that matter,” Sutton’s email said.

Branch’s statement said Robinson is still cooperating with Orange County District Attorney Jim Woodall in the ongoing criminal investigation.

The University cannot comment on specific cases in the Title IX office, and Vice Chancellor of University Communications Joel Curran said in a statement the university is obligated to protect students’ privacy rights.

“Allegations of sexual assault are extremely concerning for everyone involved. We are deeply committed to the safety and well-being of our students, and we take every allegation and investigation of sexual assault seriously. We also take seriously the rights of the reporting party and the responding party to receive a fair investigation. In every case, we offer the highest levels of compassion and personal care to all students who need support,” Curran’s statement said.