UNC volleyball shows promise for next season in 3-1 win over N.C. State

Julia Scoles (12) goes up for one of her many kills during the game against N.C. State.

It wasn’t pretty, but the North Carolina volleyball team picked up the victory in its final spring match, beating N.C. State 3-1 on Saturday.

While the team looked sloppy at times, it was able to come together as a unit when it counted and showed why it was the 2016 ACC champion.

“Spring is always nice to get that experience playing in a really low pressure situation” 2016 ACC Player of the Year Taylor Leath said. “You’re playing against different competition, so it’s not just another team of us on the other side of the court. When you go into the fall, you want to have that foundation.”

The team certainly has that foundation, with Leath returning as well as second team All-ACC middle hitter Taylor Fricano and ACC Freshman of the Year Julia Scoles.

In fact, there is very good reason to believe the Tar Heels will be even better next year than their 29-4 mark of last season. And the players believe it, too.

“I think the sky is the limit” Scoles said. “Whatever we set our minds to, I think we can accomplish, but the focus is there.”

In addition to those three returning stars, the team will also be anchored by 6-foot-7 setter Holly Carlton, who has drastically improved from the fall to the spring.

“Today, I thought, was really special for Holly Carlton” head coach Joe Sagula said. “She’s really coming along. A kid that didn’t play all year. We are putting her in a situation where she is learning every time she steps on the court. She will be with the U.S. National Junior Team this summer, which will give her another experience.”

“We have truly established the leadership and the captaincy and how important Taylor Leath is for us, and now we just want more people to follow that lead."

Sagula has instilled a winning attitude in his players. After the match, the team’s post-game speech was about keeping its focus and getting ready for the long haul ahead to get to the Final Four.

“We have been focusing a lot on grit this offseason” Leath said. “Setting a long-term goal and passionately pursuing it ... I feel as if our team will continue to passionately pursue it, whether it’s the coaches being here or coming in extra and doing it on our own. I feel like we have that passion and ability to pursue our goals.”

Sagula echoed that sentiment and believes his team is built to get to Kansas City for the 2017 Final Four.

“Our goal was to be a Final Four team," he said. "That is going to continue to be the goal. We fell short last year wanting to make it to an Elite 8. I want to make sure we get at least a step further than last year with the goal of ultimately getting to the National Championship."

"The goal is Kansas City.”

@christrenkle2