Undergraduate Student Government Senate confirms members to committees

At Wednesday’s Undergraduate Student Senate meeting, members discussed several proposed committees and how each member would fit into these committees.  

Resolutions to confirm members to committees — such as the Renewable Energy Special Projects committee and the Student Library Advisory Board  — were brought forth. The one that garnered the most discussion was the motion to confirm the Student Advisory Committee to the Chancellor.

Senate Member Tarik Woods said one of the students, Jane Tullis, should be taken off of the proposed committee.

“Jane is on two of these really big and very important committees, the (Student Fee Audit Committee) and SACC, and I know she’s had great insights on SFAC and that is very important,” he said. “However, my concern is that Jane sitting on SACC and SFAC doesn’t really embody expanding outside of that branch of very knowledgeable students who are in multiple places.”

Woods suggested Tullis be taken off of SFAC, the committee she was already on, and then let her choose a position on one of the two committees, SFAC and SACC.

Alec Di Ruzza, the undergraduate Student Body Vice President, spoke on behalf of each individual proposed committee member. Di Ruzza emphasized Tullis’ experience and her value as a committee member.

“I picked Jane because I think she has a unique perspective having been on a number of organizations through the Campus Y and student government,” he said. “I think she’s very well spoken and has worked a lot with student fees, and can work with the Chancellor and talk about student fees with her, because this past year that was an area not a lot of people had much knowledge about.”

Speaker of the Undergraduate Student Senate Katharine Shriver, when discussing Woods’ point, pointed out the necessity of having someone with Tullis’ experience on both committees.

“I would like to say that I think this upcoming year is a lot different due to the Union fee,” she said. “Most people do not know how much that is going to cost and having someone knowledgeable like Jane on both committees might be a valuable resource.”

Many senate members insisted Tullis' knowledge of student fees was necessary in the committee’s discourse with the Chancellor and the resolution to confirm the new committee members was passed.