Wednesday December 8th

Three-star recruit Chris Collins commits to North Carolina football

<p>Three-star DE Chris Collins committed to UNC today over Louisville, Pittsburgh, Tennessee and others. Photo courtesy of @chri_ca/Twitter</p>
Buy Photos

Three-star DE Chris Collins committed to UNC today over Louisville, Pittsburgh, Tennessee and others. Photo courtesy of @chri_ca/Twitter

The North Carolina football team welcomed another player to its 2018 recruiting class in three-star defensive end Chris Collins.

"First, I would like to thank God for giving me the ability to play the sport that I love ..." Collins said on Twitter. "I am extremely grateful for all of the college coaches that have offered me an opportunity to play at the next level."

"With that being said I have decided to further my academic and athletic career at the University of North Carolina!!"

Collins, a 6-foot-5 212-pound defensive end, chose UNC over Pittsburgh, Louisville, Tennessee and others. He tallied 5.5 sacks in ten games last season at Benedictine College Preparatory in Richmond, Va.

Collins also took reps at tight end and played on Benedictine's varsity basketball team, averaging 2.2 points per game and 2.5 rebound per game. He is the No. 15 overall player in Virginia's class of 2018 and the No. 41 overall defensive end in the country.

Collins is UNC's fourth 2018 commit, and its first from outside North Carolina. He joins outside linebacker Payton Wilson, athlete Dyami Brown and offensive tackle Avery Jones — all of whom are four-star recruits.

@chapelfowler

The Daily Tar Heel for December 1, 2021