First-years get lit in the Pit

Fire safety demonstration in the Pit

First-year business major Callie Mauser had never used a fire extinguisher until her second day of classes at UNC . 

“It was fun," Mauser said. "It was exhilarating to just squirt it at the fire. I do feel more comfortable now that I know exactly what to do in case of a fire.”

As part of the Week of Welcome program, the Department of Environment, Health & Safety held a program on fire safety and how to use a fire extinguisher in case of an emergency. 

Students received hands-on training and experience with a fire extinguisher as well as tips on how to identify potential fire hazards. 

The Department of Environment, Health & Safety runs the program every year and first-years are a major target of interest. With many first-years having little to no experience living away from their parents, they may not know the proper way to use a fire extinguisher or how to avoid fire hazards, said Kitty Lynn, a fire safety professional. 

“Our goal is to educate as many students as we can on how to keep safe from fire happening in their residence halls and in their life,” Lynn said. “We hope to train over 200 students today.”

The open fire in the Pit along with a partnership with Jersey Mike’s Subs attracted a lot of students, like first-year music major Desmond Chau.

“I saw it when I was walking by,” Chau said. “There was a lot of people around, so it drew my attention and brought me to it.”

Chau said he had never used a fire extinguisher before so he greatly appreciated the training.

“I liked learning about it, it was very interesting," he said. "If you’ve never used one before, even if you encounter fire extinguishers a lot, if I am in a situation where I have to use one and have never put my hands on one I can imagine I would be very nervous.”

Those who missed out on the opportunity will have another chance in September during Fire Safety Month, where there will be a big assortment of agencies helping with training, said Lynn. The Department of Environment, Health & Safety website also has numerous resources for residence hall and workplace safety. 

Lynn wants all those who could not attend to remember the PASS acronym.

“Pull, aim, spray and sweep. It’s how to use a fire extinguisher,” Lynn said. “Pull the pin, aim the nozzle, squeeze the handle and sweep it back and forward at the base of the fire.”