Folt denies white supremacist Richard Spencer space to speak on campus

Richard Spencer, president of the National Policy Institute and a white nationalist organizer, was denied a request to rent space on campus, according to an email from Chancellor Carol Folt. 

"Because of serious concerns about campus safety, I have declined a request from the National Policy Institute to rent space for Richard Spencer to speak on campus," Folt said in the email sent out after 2 p.m. on Wednesday. 

Spencer announced a college tour earlier this year, and unconfirmed reports said he requested to include UNC on his tour. He was also present at the Charlottesville protests, which prompted other universities, like Pennsylvania State University, to ban him from speaking on campus as well. 

The Daily Tar Heel made a public records request on Aug. 28 for Richard Spencer's request to speak on campus. The DTH has not yet received this document. 

Folt said the decision came after talking with UNC Police and state law enforcement about what Spencer's presence on campus would do for public safety. 

"I am deeply saddened and disturbed that the violent and virulent rhetoric being espoused by extremist groups has jeopardized the ability of campuses to promote robust dialogue and debate," Folt wrote. 

This story is breaking and will be updated with more information.