Here are the artists that deserve to win a Moon Person over The Chainsmokers

The 2017 MTV Video Music Awards will be historic this year. Not only are they getting rid of gendered categories and turning the iconic Moon Man into a Moon Person, but the Katy Perry and Taylor Swift beef will continue to get worse.

Perry is hosting this year’s VMAs and Swift is dropping her music video for “Look What You Made Me Do” during the show, and knowing Katy Perry, something cringe-worthy will happen in response.

To watch this beefy disaster, tune in to MTV at 8 p.m., or check out our Twitter (@ArtsDTH) where we’ll be live-tweeting the show.

Here are my hot takes on who deserves to win the big awards of the night.

Video of the Year

Kendrick Lamar — “HUMBLE.”

Bruno Mars — “24K Magic”

Alessia Cara — “Scars To Your Beautiful”

DJ Khaled ft. Rihanna & Bryson Tiller — “Wild Thoughts”

The Weeknd — “Reminder”

Kendrick Lamar’s “HUMBLE.” video is probably one of the best music videos I have ever seen.

Unlike all of the other nominees that focus on one particular component (like body positivity in Alessia Cara’s “Scars To Your Beautiful” or the coloring in DJ Khaled’s “Wild Thoughts”), Lamar’s “HUMBLE.” combines all of these elements and more into one piece.

And it isn’t done sloppily. 

The differing shots and locations aren’t spliced together in a way that confuses the viewer. Everything in the video makes perfect sense — whether the shot aligns with the lyrics or the beat, the video just flows.

I don’t want to go ahead and say it’s a perfect music video, but it is, and it fully deserves the Moon Person.

Artist of the Year

Bruno Mars

Kendrick Lamar

Ed Sheeran

Ariana Grande

The Weeknd

Lorde

I feel like there isn't a good way to figure out who’s the artist of the year other than seeing who has the biggest fanbase.

But I don’t care about that. Lorde is my artist of the year.

“Melodrama” is one of the best albums released this summer (second only to “After Laughter” by Paramore). It tells the story of her breakup and recovery, but she does it so effectively that even I could relate to it (as someone who has been tragically single her entire life).

While she might not have had the biggest year publicity-wise like some of the other artists on this list, 2017 has been Lorde’s year music-wise.

Best New Artist

Khalid

Kodak Black

SZA

Young M.A

Julia Michaels

Noah Cyrus

Trying to choose the winner of this award is basically impossible. Both Khalid and SZA are great songwriters with strong voices and both bring something new to the game.

The only thing that might put SZA over Khalid is that she has a slightly bigger fanbase, at least in terms of Twitter following.

Since, in my opinion, it’s such a toss-up, this is the award to look out for at the VMAs.

Best Collaboration

Charlie Puth ft. Selena Gomez — “We Don’t Talk Anymore”

D.R.A.M. ft. Lil Yachty — “Broccoli”

The Chainsmokers ft. Halsey — “Closer”

Calvin Harris ft. Pharrell Williams, Katy Perry & Big Sean — “Feels”

ZAYN & Taylor Swift — “I Don’t Wanna Live Forever (Fifty Shades Darker)”

I have a stronger opinion on who shouldn’t win than who should.

If I have to hear “Closer” by The Chainsmokers featuring Halsey one more time, or if they win, I will find The Chainsmokers and steal their Moon Person.

But in terms of who should win, I am a firm believer in “Wild Thoughts.” The instrumentals are great and Rihanna is glowing in the music video.

@karynhbrown