Pam Hemminger

Chapel Hill Mayor

“We’re always excited when the students come back to town, they always bring a lot of wonderful energy with them. And we’ve been busy getting the town ready for them to come back, we’ve had some road improvements, a cleanup project, and we’re making great progress on getting our startups to have more downtown locations so there’s a lot of good things going on and we’re going to be ready when the students get here which is very exciting.”

Michael Parker 

Chapel Hill Town Council Member 

“Welcome to those who are new, welcome back to those who aren’t, have a great time at Chapel Hill, we look forward to seeing you!”

Sally Greene

Chapel Hill Town Council Member

“I would like to encourage all new and returning students to participate in the arts, both on campus and in the town. Now, more than ever, we need them creating and getting involved."

Maria Palmer

Chapel Hill Town Council Member

“If you’re at Carolina it’s because you have tremendous gifts and you can make a difference. So my advice is start now, enjoy everything UNC has to offer but don’t limit yourself to the campus-get involved in the community, use your learning and smarts to make a difference to your neighbors in Chapel Hill. First and foremost, register to vote, learn about local politics and vote this November.” 

Nancy Oates

Chapel Hill Town Council Member

“Show up for things. Even if it seems boring or uninteresting, show up, leave yourself open and enjoy Chapel Hill.”

Bethany Chaney

Carrboro Board of Aldermen Member

“Welcome back from this proud UNC grad. When your parents complain about your squishy interdisciplinary studies degree, tell them to call me.”

Damon Seils

Carrboro Board of Aldermen Member

“I would say that Carrboro wouldn’t be the same without students in town. We townies always appreciate the summer, but it’s nice to have that vibrancy back and we encourage students to explore the town (Carrboro) and think of it as a way to escape Chapel Hill every once in awhile.”

Randee Haven-O'Donnell

Carrboro Board of Aldermen Member

“Welcome incoming and returning students to UNC, the first public university in the nation (1789). I wish you work with intention, learn to be, think and do well for the common good of people and the planet. Work to promote UNC's mission as a diverse, inclusive, free-thinking, flagship public university. Be inspired and motivated by North Carolina's lofty state motto: Esse quam videri  ‘To be rather than to seem.’"