UNC Housing launches new move-in initiative

Dorm decor stacks up outside as students move in.

Move-in wouldn’t be move-in without the teary goodbyes and crowded elevator rides. Luckily for UNC students, the Haulin' Heels are there to help them set up in their new dorms.

The Haulin’ Heels initiative premiered this year, giving students the ability to move in early and work for a volunteer workforce that helped families move into dorms. 

Carolina Housing and Residential Education Director Allan Blattner was holding the front doors to Morrison Hall all afternoon to help families move their belongings up into the 10-story building. With his new program of student helpers, Blattner said this was one of the most successful move-ins yet. 

“It’s designed really to provide much-needed help for families and students on move-in day,” Blattner said. “Historically we’ve invited upperclassmen to participate, but this year we’re targeting first-year students. We had about 500 people sign up, about half of them first-years.” 

He said UNC Housing decided to launch the new program as a way to help get new students excited about move-in and to focus on getting first-years acquainted with the campus community before classes start.

“There have been similar things before, but this was a new initiative with a new brand and a new energy,” Blattner said. “We’re really trying to help students help each other. It’s a real part of the Carolina community and we want to help that happen any way we can.” 

Blattner said UNC Housing has already received positive feedback on the Haulin' Heels initiative, and will be looking to create additional student programs in coming years. 

“Specifically with this, we’ll evaluate it, get as much feedback as we can and get back next year better and stronger than ever.”

Sophomore Sierra Weight was posing for a photo in front of Morrison with her mom while her dad was wrestling with some Ikea shelves upstairs. Excited and tired, Weight said she’s ready to live on campus. 

“Well, I knew it’s a sophomore community and I wanted to be with my peers,” she said. “I actually lived in Granville my freshman year, but now I’m excited to live on campus to see more people and have more options for the meal plan.” 

Weight said move-in went well for her, mostly because she learned her lesson from her first year. 

“I’ve made it a personal goal of mine not to overpack again this year,” she said.

In addition to help from their peers, students got a visit from Chancellor Carol Folt. 

"The start of the school year is such an exciting time to be around students," Folt said. "I love being around when they move in because they get to meet the RAs and see the dorms for the first time, which is always a wonderful experience. It just makes you feel like you’re part of it.”

Folt visits the South Campus dorms every year, greeting students as they move in and welcoming their families to UNC. She's involved in many events throughout the school year, but she said that move-in is near and dear to her heart. 

“I just know that I care about this personally," she said. "Honestly, this is just really fun and I love to come do this just for that reason.”