UNC sorority recruitment postponed due to stomach virus

CORRECTION: A previous version of this story said Chancellor Carol Folt sent out the statement regarding norovirus. Alert Carolina sent out the email, not Folt. The story has been updated to reflect this change. The Daily Tar Heel apologizes for the error.

Update, Friday 2:49 p.m.: Aaron Bachenheimer, director of fraternity and sorority life and community involvement at UNC, said there is currently no answer as to when sorority recruitment will resume, and they are determining a plan to decide how and when to move forward. He said health and wellness is their first priority.

Update, 10:08 p.m.: Alert Carolina sent out an email regarding the norovirus outbreak. It said one case has been confirmed as norovirus and Campus Health is monitoring the situation. The statement also provided tips on what people should do if they think they have the virus.

"Students with questions should contact Campus Health Services," it read.

There has been an unconfirmed outbreak of norovirus within Greek Life community. 

Norovirus is a contagious stomach virus, usually accompanied by nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. 

The UNC Panhellenic Council postponed the first two days of sorority recruitment because of the virus at the recommendation of Campus Health and the Orange County Health Department.

Kate Luck, UNC media relations manager, said Campus Health has no confirmed diagnosis at this time. They have created a stomach bug informational page on their website. 

"Campus Health has treated a number of students today with gastro-related symptoms that resemble Norovirus," Luck said. "We have collected lab samples and are awaiting the results, which may take up to 24 hours."