What's coming up in the General Assembly?

38958_commoncausencf.png

Common Cause N.C. held a public hearing on gerrymandering on June 5. The organization is now asking for the General Assembly to add more locations to its public hearings on proposed legislative districts.

The North Carolina General Assembly will hold public hearings across the state Tuesday to discuss the proposed legislative maps for congressional redistricting. 

The House of Representatives' select committee on redistricting and the Senate's redistricting committee will meet at 4 p.m. to hear public comments. Rules for public comments can be found here

The hearings will be held in Raleigh, Charlotte, Fayetteville, Hudson, Jamestown and Weldon. More site information can be found here

Bob Phillips, executive director of Common Cause NC, said the chosen locations leave out a large portion of the state impacted by redistricting in a statement Thursday. 

"Having just one hearing location east of Raleigh makes participation unduly burdensome for concerned citizens in that region," Phillips said. "We respectfully ask the committee to add more hearing locations so that a greater number of citizens can have a fair chance to present their comments to lawmakers."

Phillips also asked legislators to release maps before the hearings to allow citizens sufficient time to review them. 

A federal court ordered the General Assembly to remedy maps by Sept. 1. 

The redistricting committee held a meeting Aug. 10 and adopted criteria for legislative redistricting, which includes prohibiting the consideration of race in the drawing of new maps, while permitting precincts to be split for partisan advantage, the protection of incumbents and “political consideration” of election results data.

Rev. Dr. William J. Barber II, president of the North Carolina NAACP, said the General Assembly acted in bad faith. 

“The General Assembly made it absolutely clear that they are not serious about remedying the grave constitutional harm they have wrought," Barber said. "They refuse to repent for their unconstitutional, racially gerrymandered maps and are instead flagrantly engaging in a remedial process that will result in discriminatory maps and subvert the will of the people."

Barber also called for legislators to release the maps. 

The House and Senate will convene their sessions Friday at noon. No other meetings have been scheduled.