45th annual Festifall on West Franklin will be held Sunday

Raleigh-based artist, Eris Swanstrom, knits on a knitting machine at her booth at Festifall, a Chapel Hill festival   showcasing local artists. The celebration of art is held annually in Downtown Chapel Hill, this year falling on Sunday. Swanstrom knits on her vintage, special-edition knitting machine as shoppers peruse her racks of skirts, shirts, mittens and other knitted wool garments. Modique Couture, Swanstrom’s business, features one-of-a-kind wearable pieces of art. She began knitting 30 years ago, during the process, she discovered knitting machines. Now, Swanstrom sells her work online and at festivals.

Chapel Hill will be hosting the 45th annual Festifall Arts Festival from 12 to 6 p.m. this Sunday. The event will feature food trucks, local artists, performers and other forms of interactive entertainment. The festival welcomes people of all ages. 

Conveniently, Festifall will take place on West Franklin Street, allowing visitors to roam the street and experience entertainment of all sorts. 

Amanda Fletcher, festivals and community celebrations supervisor for the Town of Chapel Hill, has been organizing the event and is looking forward to it. She says that this year’s Festifall will be different from years past, because they brought in a variety of dynamic offerings that appeal to adults as well as kids. 

“We’re constantly thinking of new, innovative and interesting things that younger people would like to see,” Fletcher said. 

The festival will provide seven food trucks this year — three more than last year — as well as a giant chair for people to take pictures in, a kids zone and a large, interactive mural in the center of the festival for people to paint on. 

Another one of the new features Festifall is including this year is a video game lounge from Baxter’s Barcade. Danny Miller, one of the owners of Baxter’s, is excited to offer a family-friendly event for the festival. Their plan is to bring out arcade games for the kids, and, of course, the adults. 

“It’s cool because most of our games are retro, and some of the classics, so it’s great to see kids get to play the games that a lot of people grew up on, especially their parents,” Miller said. 

The games they will offer range from vintage arcade games like Donkey Kong and Ms. Pac Man, to modern games, as well as pinball machines. 

This is Baxter’s first year participating in Festifall. 

UNC students are looking forward to exploring the festival this Sunday. Senior Hispanic languages and cultures major Eva Simakas is planning on spending her Sunday at Festifall. 

“I’m definitely excited most for the live music,” Simakas said, “but also to shop for some local artisan goods. I’m also a fan of the singer David Wimbish, who will be performing.”

Local 506 is sponsoring a stage for musicians again this year. 

Chapel Hill has a long, rich history in the arts, and Fletcher said he is looking forward to honoring that in the festival. 

“We have a lot of arts and culture here, and it’s a really tight knit community. This is a sort of a hotbed for creative thinking, so I think it just works really well,” Fletcher said.

Fletcher is most looking forward to the new elements of Festifall. 

“I want to see how the people engage with the giant mural and the video game lounge,” Fletcher said. “We start working on this in January every year, so just seeing it all come together and all the happy patrons is fulfilling.”

@emmalstrickland