All Up in Your Business Sept. 11

Bski's
Bski's

BSki's

BSki’s, the only wrap place on Franklin Street, changed ownership in March. Magdy Ghoneim took over from former owners Bradley and Blair Smith.

Employee Hooda Ghoneim said nothing has changed in the wake of BSki's changing ownership. Hooda Ghoneim said Magdy Ghoneim also owns another restaurant. 

“We have another restaurant, it’s a burger place and we('re) just trying to make some money,” he said.

Employee Brenda Banda also said she has not experienced any changes after Magdy Ghoneim took over. Both employees said business and the menu have stayed consistent since March.

Al's Burger Shack

Al's Burger Shack

UNC students and town residents alike flock to Al’s Burger Shack on Franklin Street for shakes, burgers and hot dogs. Owner Al Bowers is adding a second location in Southern Village in Chapel Hill.

Al's Manager Kevin Bullick said he thinks the expansion will be good for business. He said adding the second location will help the burger shack bring in more revenue.

“It's been pretty successful here, we’re always fairly busy (so) maybe capitalizing on that,” he said.

Bullick said as far as he knows, there are no definite plans to open additional restaurant locations besides the ones on Franklin Street and Southern Village.

Sandwhich

Sandwhich, a Franklin Street restaurant, is closing in mid-to-late September. 

Owner Janet Elbetri said she was the sole operator at the restaurant and enjoyed her staff.

“I have been around for 13 years, it was an amazing wonderful time,” she said. 

Elbetri said she originally opened the restaurant with her spouse at the time. She said the difficulties of being a single mother led her to the decision to close Sandwhich.

“It wasn’t gonna last forever, and it was the best for her family," she said. "I was feeling burnt out." 

Employee Stacey Miss said the space formerly occupied by Sandwhich will be vacant for two weeks. Residents and students can look forward to a new restaurant, Heavenly Buffaloes, opening up after that.

Elbetri said she is very grateful Heavenly Buffaloes is taking over the space. She said their management made jobs available to all her staff and she is excited for their menu, especially their vegan chicken wings.