BOG and university counsel respond to threatened lawsuit concerning Silent Sam

Students and community members began a 24/7 demonstration at Silent Sam on Aug. 22.

On Sept. 18, representatives of the Board of Governors wrote to attorney Hampton Dellinger and the students he represents, who threatened a lawsuit on Sept. 13 if the University did not remove Silent Sam. 

The responding letter, written by Vice Chancellor and General Counsel Mark Merrit, cited the BOG's non-discrimination codes, and directed Dellinger and his associates to take their concerns up with the UNC-Chapel Hill's University's Equal Opportunity and Compliance Office.

Merrit also said that the BOG does not view the monument's remaining on campus as a violation of Titles IV or VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which Dellinger cited in his original letter. 

He wrote that he would reply more fully to the concerns in Dellinger's letter only after the EOC has examined the situation. 

Merritt also forwarded the letter onto the EOC Office, specifically its director, Brandon Washington.

"As part of this process, I anticipate that Mr. Washington or a member of this team will contact the students and the faculty member you represent to talk with them personally about their experiences," Merritt said.