Chapel Hill Town Council approves 'Brunch Bill' and Health Care Expansion

Chapel Hill Town Council met to discuss Special Use Permits for Alpha Phi sorority, Wegmans grocery store and Signature Health Care Expansion on Wednesday. They also approved alcohol sales on Sunday after 10 a.m. 

"Brunch Bill"

Town Council members unanimously approved the "brunch bill" and changed the current town ordinances to approve the new alcohol sales. The change allows retail stores and other businesses with a state permit to sell alcohol on Sundays after 10 a.m.

“I don’t want our businesses to be disadvantaged compared to those in Carrboro or the surrounding area,” Town Council Member Michael Parker said. 

He said the only reason the bill was not passed earlier was because the Town Council wanted to discuss the dangers of high-risk drinking with The Chapel Hill Campus & Community Coalition.

Parker said combating underage and excessive drinking should be a problem that’s not only addressed on Sundays. 

Town Council member Maria Palmer shared similar sentiments on the bill. She said the bill is particularly helpful for people doing their grocery shopping on Sundays.

"I'm in Church, and it would not affect me personally, but I think it's an issue of fairness to businesses," she said.

Special Use Permits

Town Council discussed several special use permits including the Alpha Phi Sorority, Wegmans Grocery and the Signature Health Care Expansion.

The Signature Health Care Expansion is a proposed 9,600-square foot addition near the intersection of East Franklin Street and Elliott Road intended to provide space for patients who need post-surgery and rehabilitation.

Chapel Hill Senior Planner Kay Pearlstein said Signature Health Care will find out if their application is approved on Oct. 25. She also said the exact date for the completion of this addition depends on the applicant, Signature Health Care. Pearlstein also said she estimates that the project will take a year to complete.

Signature Health Care received a traffic impact analysis exemption because the expansion will not require adding new beds. Instead, double occupancy rooms will be converted into singles, she said. 

@mattiasmiller