Column: Wear what works for you!

The “Athleisure” look used to baffle me. As a first year, I remember being shocked at how many women wore oversized shirts that covered their Nike shorts. 

I thought the look kind of resembled a lamp shade. I didn’t understand the look everyone seemed to be wearing. Was it a matter of convenience? An easy class-to-gym outfit? Four years later, the trend is extant and I still don’t really get it, but believe me, I’ve worn it too over the semesters.

I am not judging Athleisure. In fact, I fully support it. I’ve realized during my time at UNC how many assumptions can be made just on the basis of what you wear. 

Of course, this goes back to every mom ever saying, “Don’t judge a book by its cover,” but at the same time, no one ever listens to that. 

When you see people on campus and check out their clothes, it’s so easy to make assumptions. “Oh, she’s definitely in a sorority,” you might think when you see a girl in the classic Athleisure combo. Upon seeing someone in a band tee shirt with The Smiths on it and start cataloging that person’s music tastes. We all categorize; we’re human. 

Last November I started working out every day. I had to in order to manage my cystic fibrosis. Working out made me face a difficult choice: carry my gym clothes with all the contents of my back pack, or do the unthinkable: Wear Athleisure. 

Some days, like any reasonable person who lives off campus, I relented. 

And hey, I survived. I know looking at me you wouldn’t necessarily assume I love running by the way I dress. I love wearing overalls; I live for fall/winter when I can bring out the button up/sweater combo. Sometimes, though, my Brooks sneakers make me feel more powerful than my favorite striped shirt (which yes, I do wear all the time). 

Through my own slow-going appreciation of more relaxed clothing, I’ve learned it’s alright to not wear what you might consider your personal style every day. And it really does not matter if people start assuming things about you based on the way you dress. 

So to all the people in the world who prefer the Athleisure look, I fully support you. Sometimes, I can be counted as one among you and I’m happy to be a part of that (catch me rolling up to my 9 a.m. in gym shorts and a UNC pullover). 

All that matters is what makes you feel most comfortable — not what people think because of what you wear.