Cooper enters NC into US climate agreement

cooperfile.jpg

Gov. Roy Cooper, then the Democratic gubernatorial candidate, was one of the speakers during the Obama rally on Nov. 9 at Hooker Fields. Cooper announced that North Carolina will join 14 other states in the U.S. Climate Alliance. 

Gov. Roy Cooper entered North Carolina into the U.S. Climate Alliance, along with 14 other states, in response to President Donald Trump withdrawing the United States from the Paris Climate Agreement. 

The U.S. Climate Alliance is a bipartisan coalition of states that have come together to address the threat of climate change through reduced carbon emissions and new, innovative technologies. 

A report conducted by the U.S. Climate Alliance found that the states involved in the coalition reduced their greenhouse emissions by 15 percent between 2005 and 2015 and are on track to reach a 24 to 29 percent reduction in emissions before 2025.

Each state involved has pledged to meet their share of reduced greenhouse gas emissions as outlined in the Paris Agreement. 

Cooper said in a statement that even without proper leadership in Washington to address environmental issues, North Carolina will remain committed to reducing pollution and protecting the planet.

“Clean air and a healthy environment are vital for a strong environment and a healthier future," he said. "So much of North Carolina’s economy relies on protecting our treasured natural resources, and I’m committed to maintaining the quality of the air we breathe for generations to come.” 

Brian Powell, communications director at the North Carolina Conservation Network, said while Trump’s decision to pull out of the Paris Climate Agreement is unfortunate, Cooper should be commended for showing leadership on the issue of climate change.

“A healthy environment is crucial to the North Carolina way of life, and it’s refreshing to see the Cooper administration taking common sense steps to protect it," he said. "Transitioning away from fossil fuels makes good economic sense. Clean, renewable energy is a job creator here in North Carolina and across the country.” 

Mitch Kokai, senior political analyst at the conservative-leaning John Locke Foundation, said the Trump administration was wise to pull out of the Paris Climate Agreement. 

“The deal would have meant all pain for the U.S. and no gain in terms of doing anything useful to address the issue of climate change," he said. "It would have amounted to a lot of government intrusion into the economy for little potential benefit for our environment.” 

Kokai said Cooper is trying to send a message that he is an environmental advocate by entering North Carolina into the U.S. Climate Alliance.

“North Carolina on its own — or even in conjunction with a handful of other states — could do nothing that would have a significant impact on the climate," he said. "The notion that North Carolinians using curlicue light bulbs and driving Priuses and taking other steps that we normally hear about in terms of addressing issues like climate change would make a real difference is silly.”

Powell said it is important for the United States to set an example for others.

“Climate change is not a threat looming on the horizon – it’s real, and it’s here," he said. "If we’re not doing everything we can as a global community to work together to fight it, then we’re not doing enough.”

@DTHStatNat