Downtown Chapel Hill and Carrboro offer dog-friendly dining options

UNC sophomore Laura Perron enjoys a Sunday afternoon with her dog, Hershey, at Weaver Street Market, a dog friendly establishment in Carrboro.

The Chapel Hill-Carrboro area seems to have many people that are dog lovers. Between local families and students,  someone is often walking a dog around UNC or down Franklin Street. A pet dog is a part of the family and when it comes time to eat, no one wants to leave Fido behind. So which restaurants are pooch-friendly?

Local restaurants Sup Dogs and the Spotted Dog have pet-friendly patios.

“The name almost implies it,” said Spotted Dog owner Ed Corbell.

But there are many other restaurants open to having dogs dine with their owners. The restaurants Mediterranean Deli and Weaver Street Market also have outdoor seating open to animals, which helps restaurants bring in business from people on the street or within walking distance, Ruby Brinkerhoff, a caterer at Med Deli, said.

"I think it adds a lot to the family atmosphere," she said. 

Sup Dogs owner Bret Oliverio said having dogs adds to downtown Chapel Hill's ambiance. 

“It’s the best of both worlds,” he said. “Enjoy some food, maybe a drink, hang out with your dog and people watch on Franklin.”

According to Corbell, most of these restaurants don’t only allow dogs but encourage them. At night at least half of Spotted Dog's tables has pets, she said.

In hopes of attracting pet owners, both the Spotted Dog and Sup Dogs offer amenities to keep dogs comfortable. The Spotted Dog sells dog biscuits and offers water bowls while Sup Dogs gives free “Doggy-Dogs” to each dog. 

As the weather gets colder, Med Deli, the Spotted Dog and Sup Dogs all leave their outdoor seating available for the pet owners who want to sit outside with their pet any time of the year. Brinkerhoff said that many dog owners will sit outside under an umbrella even if it's raining.

Employees in these restaurants are often dog-lovers too, Corbell said. The Spotted Dog has held fundraisers for UNC Paws, an organization that trains service dogs for people with mental illnesses. He said the organization will bring a few dogs up to the restaurant which is fun for everybody. 

“It adds to the energy and liveliness of downtown Chapel Hill and Franklin Street,” he said. 

Oliverio said there are many places in the local area that will be more than happy to accommodate the entire family — dogs included. 

@clairebear1312