Great October concerts just outside Chapel Hill

concert preview.png

Many concerts are coming to Triangle venues this month, such as the Ritz in Raleigh. Photo courtesy of Scott Chemlar.

Regardless of music taste, anyone can find the concert for them in the Triangle area this October. From country to trap, here are some of our suggestions for music acts to see in the next month.

Kesha 

The Ritz  

Oct. 2 at 7 p.m. 

$102 to $189 

Kesha made her return to music this year when she released Rainbow, her first album since 2012. 

This album is a definite departure from Kesha’s “Tik Tok” days, and shows an emotional side that her fans haven’t quite seen before. 

Tracks to look out for include “Woman,” an empowering and fun song that she laughs throughout, and “Bastards,” a powerful guitar ballad. 

Mura Masa 

Cat’s Cradle  

Oct. 10 at 8:30 p.m. 

$20 

Mura Masa is a self-taught electronic musician from a small island between Britain and France. His work started on SoundCloud, but has gained traction lately and now is on Spotify. 

Mura Masa’s new self-titled album is a blend of seemingly unrelated sounds strung together to create a new sound for electronic music. “Messy Love” is a mind-bending trap song that shows off his DJ skills, while “1 Night” featuring Charli XCX is a catchy pop-ish tune. 

Kali Uchis 

Cat’s Cradle  

Oct. 16 at 8:00 p.m. 

$15 advance; $18 day of 

R&B and soul mix with Colombian influences to make Kali Uchis’ music. Living out of her car as a high-schooler, Uchis turned to songwriting as a way to express her suffering. Next year, she will be joining Lana Del Rey on her L.A. to the Moon Tour. 

“Call Me,” a 2015 release, and “Nuestro Planeta,” released earlier this year, are a couple of Uchis’ best songs. 

Aminé

Cat’s Cradle 

Oct. 27 at 9:00 p.m. 

$22 advance; $25 day of 

The son of Ethiopian immigrants, Aminé was bullied in middle school for his race. He later found his friends through a mutual love of music and became known for recording insult songs about rival high schools. 

Aminé’s song, “Caroline,” has gained major popularity this year. “Yellow Ft. Nelly” is another standout track. 

The Head and the Heart 

Red Hat Amphitheater 

Oct. 2 at 7:00 p.m. 

$23 to $43

The Head and the Heart started out in Seattle, selling ten thousand copies of its self-titled album by word of mouth. Five years after its debut album, the indie band released Signs of Light in 2016 through Warner Bros. Records. 

In its latest releases, the band stays true to its folksy roots and maintains a simplistic beauty reminiscent of the Grateful Dead. “Rhythm & Blues,” “Library Magic” and “Dreamer” perfectly illustrate The Head and the Heart’s unique style. 

Josh Ritter 

Cat’s Cradle 

Oct. 25 at 7:00 p.m. 

$27.50 to $129 

Bob Dylan and Mark Twain are just two of the many inspirations that Josh Ritter uses in his songwriting. 

Ritter’s style can range from folk to soft rock, but he demonstrates his mastery of any genre that he touches with his honest lyrics and strong vocals. 

“Evil Eye,” “Train Go By” and “Myrna Loy” are three of Ritter’s greatest tracks. 

Rayland Baxter 

Lincoln Theatre 

Oct. 26 at 8:00 p.m. 

$10 

Alternative country is not the most popular genre, but Rayland Baxter’s well-crafted rhythms are notable and, at times, genre-defying. 

Baxter grew up just outside of Nashville with a father who played guitar alongside Bob Dylan. As a result, Baxter’s musical influences are widespread and contribute to his versatility of sound. 

Two songs that the audience should listen for are “Mr. Rodriguez” and “Yellow Eyes.” 

@maevesheehey