Me Too Monologues encourages students to write their own monologues

Me Too Monologues

Me Too Monologues is a collection of student-written monologues that will be performed in January. Photo courtesy of Ruthie Allen.

Correction: In a previous version, Ruthie Allen was misidentified as the sole director. She shares the role with co-director KiKi Alexander from North Carolina Central University.

Every year, many of UNC’s most talented actors come together to perform a series of monologues. But their performances aren't taken out of some contemporary stage monologue book — they're written solely by UNC students.

In January, Me Too Monologues UNC will put on another one of their annual shows for the community, this time directed by Ruthie Allen and KiKi Alexander.  

The annual workshop with UNC professor Jacqueline Lawton, who explains the monologue writing process, was Tuesday night. However, those interested in Me Too Monologues still have time to get involved. Monologue submissions for the January 2018 show are open until Oct. 16. 

And for those wondering why they should get involved with production, Mckenzie Wilson said that watching monologues performed at the show is an “extremely enlightening and empowering experience.”

Wilson, who performed in Me Too Monologues’ production in 2016 during her sophomore year, is still participating in the show as a senior, but now as a producer.  

Lawton said that anyone can write a monologue as long as they’ve told a story before.  It may have been a story to a friend “about your weekend, vacation or summer, or a bad thing that happened on a date.”  

She said she hopes that those who learn to write monologues will be able to teach people how to “turn that story into something that can be shared by someone else.”

And for those that may be asking themselves, "Why should I attend the production?" and "What sort of monologues will be performed?," co-director Allen has the answer for you.

This year, UNC will be partnering with North Carolina Central University, so there will be monologues performed by two different North Carolina university student bodies. She said she hopes that the production will help “bring our community together,” with “captivating and intense” monologues written and performed by UNC students. 

Allen has worked on several large productions and plays in the past, but what drew her to directing a show composed solely of monologues was the strong focus on narrative that monologues bring. 

While bigger shows may get caught up in the lights, costumes, sounds and everything else that goes into putting on a performance, a monologue is mainly focused on one thing — the words.

@jvanglish