MJ Fest highlights student-run media organizations on campus

Susan King, the Dean of the School of Media and Journalism, speaks at the First Amendment Day opening ceremony in 2015.

In an effort to showcase communication opportunities beyond the classroom, the School of Media and Journalism held their annual MJ Fest, a club and organization involvement fair for students. 

Many of the clubs and organizations at MJ Fest hoped to spread information about their group and interest new members. Recruitment was a main focus for groups like Heelprint, UNC's student run communications agency, and PRSSA, Public Relations Student Society of America.  

Senior Rachel Rhodes, coordinator of this year’s MJ Fest and president of PRSSA, said MJ Fest was a way for communication clubs to connect with students, especially younger undergraduates. Rhodes hoped the involvement fair would help first-years and sophomores get involved with the school as soon as possible. 

“One of my biggest regrets from my four years here is not getting involved with the MJ-school early enough,” Rhodes said. 

Rhodes said MJ Fest also gave executive members of the organizations a chance to connect with each other and facilitate connections for future collaborative events.  

Junior Luke Schrager, attended the event looking to find clubs that would help him get experience in advertising and help build his portfolio, like the advertising club. 

"Something to get my feet wet with advertising so I can maybe put something in my creative folder or portfolio," he said. "I'm trying to immerse myself with the advertising community as much as I can."

Sophomore Lydia Davis, a public relations major, said she is new to the major and wanted to see how she could get more involved.

"Being a PR major, but kind of considering other ones, I want to be able to go more in-depth with what each of these mean, hopefully use the clubs to figure out what I want to do, what I'm interested in," she said. 

Among the booths at MJ fest, a few included: PRSSA, MJ-school Ambassadors, Crash Campaign, UNC Ad Club, the Carolina Association of Black Journalists (CABJ), Society for News Design, Southern Neighbor and the 1893 Brand Studio. 

@JessySnouwaert