New Trump travel ban bars almost all travel from 7 countries

President Donald Trump spoke in the Greensboro Coliseum in June of 2016. 

The White House announced a new order on  Sunday banning almost all travel to the United States from seven countries, citing national security threats. 

Most citizens of Chad, Iran, Libya, North Korea, Syria, Venezuela and Yemen will be banned indefinitely starting next month. Citizens of Iraq and some from Venezuela traveling to the United States will face restrictions or heightened security. 

President Donald Trump's new proclamation covers most of the countries from his original travel ban. The original ban caused a flurry of airport protests and lawsuits. The United States Supreme Court is set to hear arguments about the ban's constitutionality on Oct. 10.

"As president, I must act to protect the security and interests of the United States and its people," Trump said in the proclamation. "I am committed to our ongoing efforts to engage those countries willing to cooperate, improve information-sharing and identity-management protocols and procedures, and address both terrorism-related and public-safety risks."

The new ban will take effect Oct. 18. 

The University has not put out a statement at the time of publication. In response to the original ban, UNC Chancellor Carol Folt said in a statement that the University would help "people who are directly or indirectly impacted in every way that (it) can" on Jan. 29. 

Folt said the University would advise students, faculty and staff affected by the ban to consult an immigration attorney prior to travel outside the United States. 

"To our more than 3,000 international students, scholars, staff and families – representing more than 100 countries: you are essential to our vibrant Carolina community," Folt said in her statment. "We remain fully committed to a diverse and inclusive campus and want all who work and study here to feel welcomed and valued." 

This story is developing. Check back for updates.