Nightlight Bar and Club hosts monthly 919Noise Showcase

Noise Music
Doug Francis, known in the noise music scene as Isotroposphere, is performing at 919Noise Showcase this month. Photo courtesy of Ted Johnson.

Nightlight Bar and Club will host its monthly 919Noise Showcase on Wednesday, featuring performances from noise artists 80KV, HyMettus Woods, Provisional and Isotroposphere.

All ages are welcome to attend the showcase. The entrance fee is $5 for Nightlight members and $7 for non-members. Doors will open at 8 p.m., and performances will begin at 8:30 p.m.

Each artist will perform a unique set of noise and experimental music for an equally unique audience.

919Noise Showcase has been hosted monthly in the Chapel Hill area for 13 years, attracting a loyal fan base. Doug Francis, otherwise known as Isotroposphere, said it is his favorite monthly event.

“You can go there and do anything you want,” he said. “Everybody’s having a good time.”

Noise music is a category of music distinguished by its expressive use of noise and unconventional song structure.

“It is intentionally against these rules, structures, conventions about what music should sound like,” noise artist 80KV said. “It is on the cutting edge of musical innovation.”

Noise music has long contributed to film soundtracks and sound design, but it is still growing in popularity as a performance art. Noise music sound designer and audio artist, Christopher Thurston of HyMettus Woods, said there was a packed house for the noise performers at Moogfest, a spring music festival in Durham, this year.

Thurston has performed in many noise performance events as a solo artist and as a member of a band. Last year, he released “The Storm Dance,” a piece commissioned by the North Carolina State University dance department. It was composed in conjunction with NC State Dance Program director Tara Mullins’ choreography, “The Storm.” 

On Wednesday, Thurston will perform the soundtrack created for Jennifer Tarrazi-Scully’s film, “No Games No Fowl.” The performance will have a direct relation to the film while taking on a different form from the original soundtrack.

80KV, Provisional and Isotroposphere will also be performing at the showcase.

80KV is a software developer, guitarist and noise performance artist. She has built her own instruments unique to her set, including two gloves that translate her guitar motions into generative backing tracks. She has proven herself as a proud representative of female musicians, making a name for herself in noise music.

Isotroposphere has performed at many of the 919Noise showcases. He encourages the Chapel Hill community to attend the showcase to hear and support local artists that they won’t see perform anywhere else.

Noise music is unique, experimental and innovative. 919Noise has created an event where artists can connect with each other and their audiences. It has become a place where artists can share their interests in front of a live audience, and it is only growing.

“The spirit of inquiry will without a doubt foster the new sounds that will become found in popular music,” Thurston said. “If you want to be on the edge where that is being discovered, 919Noise is a place where that’s being discovered.”

@ameliayk