Our thoughts: The season premiere of 'Dancing with the Stars' flips and flops

Dancing With the Stars hosted their 25th season premiere on Monday night. The episode was full of lively performances, some flips and some flops. 

The show features a variety of stars, from athletes to musicians to actors and even some throwback Hollywood stars like Frankie Muniz and Nick Lachey. Each star prepares and conditions for their performance with a professional dance partner. 

Nick went up against his wife, Vanessa Lachey. Their professional dance partners, Peta Murgatroyd and Maksim Chmerkovskiy are also married to each other, giving off a swingers vibe.

A swing dance would have been fitting. Nick and Vanessa, however, had solid and sexy performances. 

I think Nick lacked a lot of pizazz with his dance, and Vanessa outshone him by exhibiting more control with her movements. This is, of course, coming from someone who has no knowledge of dancing besides sixth-grade cotillion, which I mostly repressed from my memory. 

The one I’m rooting for is Jordan Fisher, whose performance got my attention. He’s a young, upcoming actor from the Broadway show, "Hamilton."

First of all, he’s absolutely gorgeous and charismatic, and he showcased his natural dancing talent. 

Although I can’t dance myself, I can tell when someone is killing it on the dance floor. I agree with the sassy Italian judge, Bruno Tonioli, who called him “slick and stylish.”

Not all the dances were as dazzling as Fisher’s. Barbara Corcoran, from "Shark Tank," danced to Ludacris' “Money Maker.” Despite being an experienced businessperson, she is not quite as experienced in dancing. 

Her performance was painful to watch, but what was more painful to watch was how touchy she was with her dance partner during judging -- no one wants their inner thigh caressed on national TV. I think someone belongs back in the tank. 

Drew Scott, from HGTV’s “Property Brothers,” also had a flop of a performance. He didn’t score well and looked like he didn’t know what he was doing the entire time. He tried compensating by smiling with every twist and turn but ended up looking sloppy. 

I would stick to fixing houses, Scott.

Nick Lachey is not the only star on the show whom I hadn’t thought about since my pre-teen years. Frankie Muniz, still as cute as he was from his “Agent Cody Banks” era, really impressed me on the dance floor. He received good feedback from the judges as well, and I agree that he had solid form and confidence. 

The premiere also featured a few athletes like Terrell Owens, a football player, and Derek Fisher, from the Los Angeles Lakers.

Another contestant, Nikki Bella, has an athletic background as a WWE member. She basically kicks ass for a living and incorporated hints of her wrestling career in her dance. 

Bella ended the dance by (safely) body slamming her partner. Bella is engaged to wrestler John Cena. However, he "could not be seen" at the premiere. 

Next Monday, the show will reveal its first elimination, based on audience votes and the judges' scores. 

@emmalstrickland