Review: Niall Horan impresses with newly released singles and anxiously awaited world tour

Growth is a necessary and integral part of living life as a human being. Lately, for Niall Horan, growth means reclaiming the stage as a solo artist. 

Horan has gradually shed the holds of One Direction while still keeping them close to his heart, as seen in his new single and his solo musical inclinations. 

Throughout the five years that One Direction was a band, their musical style shifted and morphed, growing with them as they aged. The band itself wrote and performed primarily pop tunes, but their songs also displayed folk and techno influences. 

Take “Fool's Gold” for example, partially written by Horan in 2014 and recently performed at the kick-off of his world tour, “Flicker Sessions 2017,” in Dublin. The single is both calming and lyrically mature. 

Horan is continuing with the old 1D trend of melodic tunes and intricate lyrics as he prepares to set off and spread his music to wider audiences. 

Horan’s newly released solo single “Too Much To Ask” starts off with Horan’s recognizable drawl accompanied by melodic piano, soothing guitar and a steady drum beat. The single itself elicits a raw feeling of vulnerability as Horan confesses feeling uncomfortable when deciding if asking where it “went wrong” is “too much to ask.” 

Horan also poses the question if whether not being over someone once a relationship has ended is even something that’s okay to feel. The single doesn’t act so much as a cry for a help but as a chance to express a feeling of sadness and possibly regret for what used to be. 

Horan impresses with his lyrical use of metaphors to convey his feelings in a way that doesn’t sound whiny but merely searching for some type of human connection to start healing what may have been lost from the ended relationship.  

I’m predicting that Horan’s debut solo album will encompass who he is and how he’s trying to become a more mature artist. His previously released works have captured who he is as a lyricist and even touched on more mature topics than he has ever worked on in the past. 

Horan debuted “This Town” as his first solo single in September 2016. “This Town” gives off a chill energy while also expressing some yearning for what has passed. 

Another one of Horan’s previously released solo singles, “Slow Hands,” released in May 2017, gives audiences something to jam to. Horan impresses with his musical talents as he uses his guitar to give the song a slow, seductive vibe. 

Horan recently officially announced the "Flicker World Tour 2018" on his Twitter. Tickets are now on sale, so if you’re looking to attend one of his 36 U.S. and Canadian shows, get pumped to fight your way through the frightening and fast-paced world of Ticketmaster during the pre-sale season. 

Hopefully, smaller venue sizes (as compared to the arenas One Direction performed in throughout the years) will allow Horan to truly connect with his audiences and make the most out of his first tour as an independent artist. 

Horan’s album, “Flicker,” officially debuts Oct. 20. 

@beccafiely