The Schuy's the limit with first NC Hamiltunes Sing-Along

Hamiltunes
The Hamiltunes Sing-Along cast performed at Motorco Music Hall Sunday.

The biggest "Hamilton" fans of the Triangle came together in an eruption of sing-alongs, performing the entirety of the musical — dressed in their nicest 18th century clothing at Motorco Music Hall on Sunday.

The sold-out show, dubbed Hamiltunes, is the first officially sanctioned "Hamilton" sing-along in North Carolina, and fans performed their hearts out on stage. NC Hamiltunes cabinet members organized the non-profit event so ticket proceeds would go to the official Hamilton charity — the Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History -- and Hurricane Harvey and Irma relief efforts. 

Notable performances included the sassy six-year-old Tilly Curtis, who channeled her best Angelica in “The Schuyler Sisters” and quickly became a fan favorite. When asked why she loves the musical, Curtis said, “I just really like all the characters, and I like all the songs.” 

Another standout singer was Isaiah Batoon, whose convincing performance of a lovestruck Eliza Hamilton in “Helpless” had the audience blown away. 

He emphasized how important the musical is to him.

“It’s very inclusive," he said. "Hamilton’s played by a guy of Latin descent, and the white presidents being played by black people.” 

Batoon attributed his great performance to his experience in a college a cappella group.

Allie Akers had a very busy night as she played Hamilton, Washington, Burr, Madison and Phillip Hamilton.

She said she performed in a founding father getup because she related to the songs, especially Burr's. 

"I didn’t like musicals before, but this one was catchy," Akers said, "and some of the songs really spoke to me.” 

First-generation Latinx person Susie Castellanos Hansley said she thought it was cool to see a Latinx person research, write and execute a show with people of color in it.

"It inspired me and made me very proud to be a Latina,” Hansley said. 

She said her favorite part to play was Hamilton in Yorktown because he has a two minute rap, as well as Peggy because “she’s so annoying with her line — and Peggy!

I had never seen such a large collection of people so invested in Alexander Hamilton’s life in one place at one time. Granted I’ve never seen the show, but at the show you can’t really sing along! 

It was every Hamil-fan’s dream and a Hamil-hater’s worst nightmare. The audience sang along the whole time enthusiastically, and when a singer messed up on stage, they were happy to help fill in the lyrics. 

The show was $5 to get in and $10 to perform, which is a good alternative for when you can’t afford tickets to the actual show and want to release your inner Thomas Jefferson or Aaron Burr. I personally enjoyed the show, and I thought it was cute that strangers of all different ages and backgrounds came together onstage over something they all love. 

Hamiltunes is currently planning a second show in February around Presidents Day weekend.

@ahc105