UNC drops first match of the season in 1-0 loss against UNCW

The North Carolina men’s soccer team suffered a 1-0 shutout loss to UNC-Wilmington on Friday, in a game where the Tar Heel offense was thwarted and its six-match win streak that dated back to the 2016 postseason was broken. 

After a 6-1 dominating victory on Sunday night, No. 3 North Carolina (2-1) lost its rhythm offensively and could not overcome the one and only goal of the night by UNCW (3-0). 

The game stayed tight until midway through the first half whenever Tar Heel redshirt first-year keeper Drew Romig made his first save of the night that was earned on a shot by UNCW’s David Lozano. 

Lozano redeemed himself two minutes later when he earned the assist after delivering a pass to teammate Hjalmar Ekdal, whose goal put the Seahawks up 1-0. 

The Tar Heels’ came out stronger in the second period with two quick shots by sophomore Jack Skahan in the first eight minutes.

This trend continued throughout the second half as North Carolina finished with a 12-6 shot advantage over the Seahawks. 

But UNCW redshirt keeper Ryan Cretens made sure to maintain the shutout with a duo of second-half saves in the final four minutes of the match to lead his team to victory against North Carolina for the first time since 2014.

Sophomore Cam Lindley led the Tar Heels with four shots and one shot on goal. Lindley’s final shot at a glimpse of victory for North Carolina came with 10 minutes left to play in the game, but Cretens earned yet another save as Lindley’s shot flew too wide to the left of the goal.

Redshirt first-year Drew Romig made his debut at keeper for the Tar Heels. Romig completed the game with a total of two saves.

In the 23rd minute of the game, Lindley made his first shot of the night that sailed too far to the right of the goal. 

UNCW’s Lozano responded with a shot of his own in the 25th minute that helped to give Romig his first save of the season.

One minute later, Lozano executed a corner kick that flew off of the head of Ekdal and past Romig into the back of the net to give the Seahawks a 1-0 advantage over the Tar Heels.

During Fetzer Field's ongoing renovation, victories earned during away games become that much more important. North Carolina’s quest to live up to being named the ACC preseason favorite begins next weekend as the team travels to Pittsburgh in hopes of securing the first ACC road win of the season. 

Where do they play next? 

The Tar Heels will travel to UNCG on Monday to take on the Spartans at 7 p.m.

@jordymae012