Alcorta, Ilse earn All-ACC honors at ACC Championships

Both the North Carolina men's and women's cross country teams finished 11th at the ACC Championships in Louisville, Ky., as two Tar Heels earned All-ACC honors for the women’s team.

Morgan Ilse and Caroline Alcorta jumped out to a fast start, running in fifth and seventh, respectively, a third of the way through the race.

As the race wore on, Ilse and Alcorta dropped just outside of the top ten, but Ilse’s 11th place and Alcorta’s 12th place finishes led the Tar Heels and earned both runners All-ACC honors.

The rest of the women’s team finished in the second half of the 132 runner field, with Mady Clahane and Erin Edmundson finishing within two seconds of each other and leading the rest of the pack. Clahane finished 71st, while Edmundson ended up 73rd.

The UNC women’s average time ran just one second slower than 10th place Pittsburgh, but a full minute and ten seconds behind ACC champion No. 5 North Carolina State.

The men’s team was led by Jeremy Brown, who came in 50th. The sophomore started slow, running in 77th a quarter of the way through the race, but finished strong, running a 24:35.4 time for the eight kilometer race.

Behind Brown, Logan Carroll finished at 63rd, good for the top half of the 129 man field. Four Tar Heels finished between 73rd and 79th.

The Tar Heels ran an average time nearly a minute and a half slower than No. 4 Syracuse, which who won the ACC title.

For the third consecutive year, Alcorta earned All-ACC honors by finishing in the top 21. The senior was named ACC Performer of the Week earlier in the season. Alcorta’s 20:27.6 time was fewer than two seconds higher than her personal best for six kilometers.

Ilse, who recorded the best finish for the Tar Heels, earned All-ACC honors for the second consecutive year. The junior’s 20:26.3 time is her best for the six-kilometer distance.

Alcorta turned in yet another impressive performance, and the senior hopes to maintain her momentum heading into NCAA Southeast Regionals in two weeks. Though the team’s performance overall was disappointing, the two top finishers impressed, giving hope looking forward.

For the men, UNC’s 11th place finish marks their worst ACC Championships result in program history.

Where do they run next?

The Tar Heels next head to Charlottesville, Va. for the NCAA Southeast Regional on Nov. 10. They will need to perform well there in order to qualify for the NCAA Championships back in Louisville.