Bands battle for a good cause at Country Fried Duck

Battle of the Bands
Phi Sigma Pi's Battle of the Bands competition is Friday at Country Fried Duck. Photo courtesy of Caroline Owens.

Get ready to rock — Phi Sigma Pi’s Alpha Kappa Chapter at UNC will be hosting their fifth annual Battle of the Bands competition at 9 p.m. on Nov. 3 at Country Fried Duck. 

Proceeds from the event will go towards North Carolina disaster relief fund to benefit those still affected by Hurricane Matthew in Lumberton.

Caroline Owens, co-chair of the service committee in Phi Sigma Pi, said that the event is a great way for people to enjoy some local music while also helping the community.

“We’re really all about community, and our service committee wants to bring together a community,” Owens said. “In light of recent events here in North Carolina, we’ve decided this year that all of the funds will be going towards disaster relief based off of the towns and cities and people that are still recovering from Hurricane Matthew last year.”

The Battle of the Bands competition will be drawing the community of Chapel Hill and Carrboro together in different ways.

“It will be hosted at Country Fried Duck with the aim that we can have people attend the event from variety of walks of life and a variety of ages,” Owens said.

Dulce Zambrano, public relations chair of Phi Sigma Pi, said that the competition is working to bring together people from the co-ed honors fraternity and people from outside of it.

“To have the space where we can all do something for a good cause, rather than just Phi Sig raising money," Zambrano said. "We’re just trying to create some form of togetherness.” 

Elvis Jesus, one of the bands performing at Country Fried Duck, said they feel as if the platform is allowing them to reach other parts of North Carolina that need assistance.

“There are a lot of people (in Lumberton) that could use the help,” Sam Gray, member of Elvis Jesus, said. “I’m glad that we can be a part of doing something to give some of that help.”

Local Flora, an alternative rock band that will be performing at the event, said that being able to raise money for a charitable cause is just one of the perks of the event.

“That’s huge to be able to take a medium like music and facilitate charity with it,” Eric Sugarman, member of Local Flora, said. “To have this sharing of energy while we’re coming together all to raise some money with our music for something worth raising money for. It’s awesome.”

Local Flora said that they’re excited to play their first gig in a venue like Country Fried Duck.

“Playing in a club venue will be cool — also for just having good sound system,” Steve Wood, member of Local Flora, said. “And a place lot of people can come out. We wanna make people dance.”

The Rameses Roots Revivalists, a folk/bluegrass group, will also be playing on Friday.

“I’m a little nervous about how we’ll be received because bluegrass is a very specific genre,” Kate Aberman, member of the Rameses Roots Revivalists, said. “We played for the Battle of the Bands two years ago, and we had so much fun and everyone really loved us. I’m glad that they invited us back. Very exciting.”

The competition is giving local bands a chance to showcase their music and expose audience members to variety of music.

“It’s going to be a really eclectic group of bands,” Aberman said. “I’m really glad that I’m not an audience member because it would be really hard to decide (the winner) because all the bands are really good and really different. You’re not just signing up for one concert — you’re signing up for five.”

The Battle of the Bands is open to anyone 18 and older, and everyone is encouraged to come support local music and a charitable cause. 

“People should come out the show because they have in front of them a beautiful opportunity in front of them to get funky on a Friday night," Sugarman said. "The vibes will be of the utmost good nature.” 

@beccafiely