Column: Your day can only go up from here

As both an employee at the UNC Student Stores and a UNC student, I have noticed a phenomenon that a lot of students appear to have caught on to. 

During the day, we have intense waves of students, professors and visitors trailing through the store. The hottest item that everyone can’t get enough of? The escalators. That’s right. 

Located conveniently next to some relatively steep stairs between the Student Union and the store, this lazy alternative is a campus favorite. Whether you are going up or down, they provide an easy access to the Pit, a path to South Campus, the bus stop and a small break in your day from the stress and chaos of a school. 

Fortunately, a lot of passing riders take time to browse merchandise, pick up a few scantrons and bluebooks for an upcoming test or a coffee from Stone & Leaf. This small but convenient detail is one of many reasons that the store is one of the most beloved and bustling locations on campus. 

This area of campus which connects students coming from South Campus, the Student Union and the Pit brings in the heaviest traffic and serves as the starting and stopping point for many students. It is inherently unavoidable during your time at UNC, and provides easy access to many students here.

What do you think, is this shortcut a helpful life hack or a symptom of campus-laziness?