Editorial: Processing news is tough

Constant negative news can affect mental health.

20171013 mental health news .jpg

We are exposed to negative news now more than ever — with automatic alerts popping up on our phones, computer screens and even our watches, it is almost impossible to shut it out. 

From mass shootings to sexual assault to terrorism, it feels like the whole world is “falling apart” every single day. 

By immersing ourselves in constant updates, we risk our own sanity. 

While it is important to stay in the know, we should be cautious about internalizing the high levels of negative stimuli around us, as well as take action to counteract these signals. 

Studies have shown watching the news can be bad for your health — exposure to negative news can lead to increased stress levels and put us in a bad mood. 

How can we be engaged in national and international news while preserving the very energy and positivity that allow us to make an impact? 

How can we stay sane without being complacent? 

Don’t internalize the news alone. 

Process current events in the company of others — not just over social media. 

These discussions are a time to uncover new nuances to issues that may have once seemed black and white. 

Pick an issue you care about and do something about it.

The news is depressing, and it is meant to be somewhat sensationalized to heighten our senses of being aware of what is happening.

It is also important to counteract this negativity with productive conversations and action, to hopefully create positive outcomes.