Homecoming weekend aims to unite Carolina community

From a Jay Pharaoh performance to Sup Dogs in the Pit, this year's Homecoming Committee has planned a wide range of events leading up to Saturday's football game against the University of Miami, with the theme "One Heel of a Storm." 

“Homecoming is probably the best time of the year,” said Homecoming Committee President Seteena Turner. “It gives students the opportunity to express their love and pride for Carolina. I don’t think there is ever time to celebrate being a student here, so this gives students a platform to show that love and expression while giving us (the Committee) the opportunity to cater to the passions and loves of the students.”

Many students are excited for the variety of events occurring around campus that come along with Homecoming. The Homecoming Committee is holding events all week in the Pit, in addition to special events every night.

“I think I am most excited about the activity happening on campus right now,” said senior Shadia Sekle.  “It’s always very lively but right now it is even better. Just the fact that Homecoming is placed right after midterms, I feel like it is a nice refresher for everyone. Homecoming is a time for us to unite as a school and for us to have fun and enjoy each other's company.”

And for many students, the week represents another first for their UNC career.

“It’s my first Homecoming here, and I am ready for all the festivities” said first-year Jaelynn Murray. “I am going to go to the events every night. I got a poncho and some free Sup Dogs yesterday, and I’m looking forward to all the events in the pit.”

Returning students recognize the importance and how much a Homecoming means. 

“It means a lot to me,” said senior Paris Kea. “I am excited for all the events that the Homecoming Committee is putting on this week."

The Homecoming Committee makes a special effort to create an environment of inclusion during Homecoming week for all members of the UNC community.

“It is really important for students to have inclusive opportunities whether it be through events or different organizations,” said Turner. "This is one central week where the student body can focus on that. It’s a tradition. The most important thing is to make sure everyone feels included. That everyone felt that there was an event that was for them.”

Homecoming week will culminate with Tar Heel extravaganza on Friday and the crowning of the new Mr. and Miss UNC at the football game on Saturday.

“This is a big deal,” said Turner. “You deserve to be a part.”