Saturday January 22nd

Joel Berry II to miss approximately four weeks with broken bone in right hand

<p>Guard Joel Berry II (2) goes up for a shot in No. 5 UNC’s 90-83 win over No. 17 Duke on March 4 in the Smith Center. Berry finished with a team-high 28 points and five made 3-pointers.</p>
Buy Photos

Guard Joel Berry II (2) goes up for a shot in No. 5 UNC’s 90-83 win over No. 17 Duke on March 4 in the Smith Center. Berry finished with a team-high 28 points and five made 3-pointers.

Senior guard Joel Berry II will miss approximately four weeks with a broken bone in his right hand, per a North Carolina men's basketball press release.

Berry averaged 14.7 points per game for the national champion Tar Heels last season, shooting 42.6 percent from the field and 38.3 percent from 3-point range. He was named the 2017 Final Four Most Oustanding Player after scoring a game-high 22 points and tallying six assists and two steals in the title game win over Gonzaga.

Berry, an Apopka, Fla., native, was named to the preseason Bob Cousy Award watch list last week, which is an honor given to the nation's top point guard.

With the 6-foot, 195-pound Berry out of action, UNC may look to sophomore Seventh Woods as a fill-in at point guard early season.

@chapelfowler

The Daily Tar Heel for December 1, 2021