Letter: Meantime's silence to UNC boycott

The Meantime Coffee Co. has displayed an inadequate response to the Board of Governors’ litigation ban and the university’s decision to not remove Silent Sam while enjoying increased profits from the UNC boycott. 

The Meantime’s management is unwilling to publicly state any substantial criticism of either the BOG or university administration but uses their affiliation with the Campus Y to propagate a facade of social justice. 

The cafe’s connection to work that helps elevate marginalized groups is limited to its location on campus. 

Management has not acknowledged that they financially benefit from the current boycott, nor have they pledged to direct this increase in revenue to causes or organizations that combat discrimination and inequality. 

Their current effort consists of a blog post supporting the Center for Civil Rights and one month of donation collection. This response is half-hearted and is primarily concerned with not aggravating university officials, rather than offering meaningful contributions to the university community and North Carolinians who are targeted by the state’s conservative leadership. 

Andrew Clark

Physics and French

Senior