Letter: Pam Hemminger helps local development

Please re-elect Chapel Hill Mayor Pam Hemminger.

In my 22 years as a Chapel Hill small business owner, a mayor has never so quickly and adeptly found the common ground between vastly different constituencies. Her actions have resulted in real progress being made towards our community’s 2020 Comprehensive Plan goals. 

On the “Community Prosperity and Engagement” front, Pam’s steadfast support for Launch Chapel Hill has resulted in Chapel Hill being selected as one of the Top 5 places for Entrepreneurs to live and launch by Entrepreneurship Magazine. 

The creation of a thriving entrepreneurial community in Chapel Hill was seen as a pipe dream only five years ago, but now entrepreneurial companies are occupying formerly vacant spaces downtown and creating desirable jobs for our citizens as well as customers for our existing businesses. 

With respect to “Good Spaces and New Spaces,” I can never thank her enough for her tireless efforts to create a more vibrant downtown. 

Her efforts helped pass common sense reform of sign ordinances, the creation of more parking by engaging long disinterested landowners and the timely adoption of the Sunday Brunch ordinance.

Please re-elect Pam Hemminger Mayor of Chapel Hill.

Scott Maitland

UNC School of Law

Class of ‘95