NYT contributor JoAnna Klein talks authentic and effective writing at Wilson Library

Independent science journalist JoAnna Klein engaged the crowd at Wilson Library on Wednesday with a simple question: "Why should you even be listening to me?"

“What if I told you a couple of weeks ago I wrote an obituary about a snail named Jeremy? That’s one reason you should listen to me,” Klein said. “But also, I write about how people can use science in their daily lives.”

Klein regularly writes for The New York Times’ science desk, notably the Trilobites column. She was on campus to give a presentation titled “Don’t Be Boring… and Other Pro Tips for Talking about Science.” Drawing on her transition from a research scientist to a journalist, Klein wove together jokes, anecdotes and advice in a presentation that was anything but boring. 

Over time, scientists accumulate an array of special knowledge, and Klein said it is their duty to share it with others. Scientific journals and papers are the classic way to do this, but scientists struggle to reach an audience that is not made up of their peers. Klein seeks to find ways to make scientific research and findings appealing to everyone they affect.

“You can’t be afraid to step out of your comfortable little bubble,” she said. “Science may explain a bubble, but it does not exist in one. Now more than ever, it is important for you to be able to tell stories about science that people will listen to.”

Klein’s tips covered things from how to make research readable: cut the jargon, tell a story and know your audience. To catch people’s attention, Klein said to find awesome photos, use an authentic voice and maintain accuracy while keeping it short. She came full circle by returning to her recommendation fro scientists to step out of their comfort zone.

“Everyone is uncomfortable. The world is uncomfortable,” Klein said. “And science, with its big words and its complex stories and it's exploding mystery worms, is uncomfortable too. But you must know we need it, or you wouldn’t be here.”

Will Sabo, a first-year biology major, attended the presentation on the recommendation from his English teacher. He enjoyed how Klein engaged the audience with her speech.

“She has a good public speaking voice,” he said. “She gave some very interesting and nuanced stuff.”

Reaching out to students like Sabo is why the library hosted Klein, said Suchi Mohanty, the head of House Undergraduate Library.

“Science communication and fostering a scientific mindset is part of our new Quality Enhancement Plan which is geared toward undergraduates,” Mohanty said. “I thought that bringing in a scientific journalist to speak on issues of scientific communication would be a good fit with campus priorities.” 

The opportunity to bring Klein to campus arose out of the library’s campus wide subscription to The New York Times. As well as giving all UNC students free access to the Times’ website, the paper also agreed to sponsor a speaker on campus. 

“As we started looking for journalists at The New York Times who addressed issues of science and culture, we found that JoAnna’s writing and her professional interests very much corresponded to some of our campus priorities,” Mohanty said.