Review: Larry David continues his cringe-worthy antics in 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' season 9

Larry David is at it again. And he was pretty, pretty, pretty good. 

On Sunday night, HBO aired the season nine premiere of “Curb Your Enthusiasm." I have been waiting years for this episode, and I can say with conviction that it did not disappoint. 

Larry David opens the episode, titled  “Foisted!,” with the most Larry David moment: he cannot work the bottle of soap while taking a shower. The episode’s elaborate story line consisted mainly of David getting into uncomfortable situations or putting himself in those situations. The show did not lose its cringeworthy effect — especially when David's life is at stake at the end of the episode. 

The episode reveals that David had been working the last few years on a play called “Fatwa! The Musical.” David ends up offending the ayatollah while discussing his new play on the “Jimmy Kimmel Live!” show. In past seasons, we worry whether David will lose his reputation, Cheryl Hines or some friends, but now we worry if he’s going to lose his life — which is much more serious than getting accused of being a “swan killer” or Susie Essman calling him a “four-eyed fuck.”

David put himself in this predicament because he fired his incompetent assistant (Carrie Brownstein). He “foisted” her by giving her to Susie (Susie Essman) instead, and hired Leon (J.B. Smoove) to be his assistant. 

Leon, who was too busy lampin’, forgot to tell Larry not to trash talk the ayatollah on live TV (obviously). Larry, oblivious as always, trash-talked the hell out of the ayatollah. His mind must have been elsewhere, as he was too busy getting into altercations with people — including Jeff Garlin’s hairdresser, Betty (Julie Goldman). He managed to piss Betty off before they even met; David didn’t hold the door open for her because she didn’t look like the type to have the door held.

“So, you looked at me and then let a door shut on me,” Betty said.

“I thought you might not want that, that's all. I was just trying not to offend you, and yet I wound up offending you, which is quite ironic… Yes, it's a mathematical equation… Type plus distance equals no door hold,” David said. 

David is at it again with his own, strange rules of social etiquette. In his defense, he “finds human contact repulsive.” He wastes no time holding doors for people.

I was happy to see Hines in this episode, although they’re not married anymore. I love her classic, “Oh my god, Larry, did you really just say that?” look. Still, David and Hines are probably better off separated. 

Speaking of separated, the “Curb” couple that always gave me hope, Ted Danson and Mary Steenburgen, are calling it quits. I suspect that Hines and Danson are going to start dating. I saw them eyeing each other, and he’s way less drama for her. 

I also predict that Leon is going to be the star of the series — besides David, of course. 

Richard Lewis made an appearance as well. He was upset with David because he was insincere about Lewis’s parakeet dying. I feel like all of their interactions make me question why they’re still friends, because they absolutely hate each other. 

The only problem I had with this episode was the absence of Marty Funkhouser (Bob Einstein). Where was his beautiful scratchy voice? 

David is insufferable to some, but lovable to me. He says things in public that we all want to say, but can’t say in fear of being called an asshole. That’s just who he is — a bald asshole. 

Keep lampin’, "Curb" watchers, and tune in to next week’s episode Sunday on HBO at 10 p.m. 

Me when someone says they don't watch "Curb Your Enthusiasm."

@emmalstrickland