UNC men's golf finishes second in final fall season event

UNC golfer Ben Griffin chooses a club for his next shot during the Tar Heel Intercollegiate Final at Finley Golf Course on Sunday.

The North Carolina men's golf team finished two strokes behind the Northwestern Wildcats en route to a second place finish this past weekend in the UNCG Grandover Collegiate in Greensboro.

Senior Ben Griffin led the charge for North Carolina as he shot three straight rounds of 71 (-1) over the course of the weekend. He finished with second in individual play. 

Senior Jose Montaño and sophomore Austin Hitt had an overall score of 221 and 224 in three rounds of play, and senior William Register and junior Preyer Fountain ended with scores of 225 and 231 to round out the scoring for the Tar Heels. 

In a lineup dominated by upperclassmen, first-year Ryan Gerard had an impressive performance as well, finishing with a thee-round score of 221 (T-11), which included a final round and bogey-free score of 70 (-2). 

As he has been all season, Griffin put together the most impressive performance of the weekend for the Tar Heels. Three weeks ago, the senior broke a Finley Golf Course record at the Tar Heel Collegiate.

Midway through the final round of play on Sunday, the Tar Heels were in a narrow race as they held a one-stroke lead over Northwestern and a three-stroke lead on Duke. 

However, Northwestern’s play down the stretch proved to be too much for North Carolina as the Wildcats carded fifteen birdies in the final round. Senior Dylan Wu, who propelled Northwestern to victory, completed his round on Sunday with a score of 70 as he won the tournament with a low-total score of seven-under. 

The Tar Heels concluded their fall season on Sunday with lots to be proud of heading into the spring. The team dominated earlier this fall with a controlling victory at Finley Golf Course versus teams such as UNCW, Maryland and Coastal Carolina. 

This weekend gives them more hope for the season that has just begun as they competed very well against some of the top teams in the nation. The Tar Heels have a strong group of players this year led by experienced older guys and energized by young talent. The spring looks bright this squad. 

This is North Carolina's last event of their fall schedule.

@dmorgan_4