UNC men's golf finishes second in Wolfpack Intercollegiate Final

The North Carolina men’s golf team missed out on a first-place finish by just two strokes in the Wolfpack Intercollegiate Final on Tuesday evening. The Tar Heel shot 848, and winner N.C. State shot 850.

The two sides entered the final round on Tuesday tied at -16, but the Wolfpack were able to pull away on the last three holes. In fact, the Tar Heels were ahead of the Wolfpack for the majority of the day until they had a bogey and a double bogey towards the end of the final round. Furthermore, not a single Tar Heel recorded a score under par during the last three holes.

NC State’s Stephen Franken played a major role in the Wolfpack victory. Franken was responsible for all but one of the Wolfpack’s shots under par throughout the entire tournament, including a clutch birdie on the the 16th hole of the final round.

Senior William Register was the Tar Heels’ standout on Monday and Tuesday. Register shot a 70 on Tuesday during the final round in order to close out the tournament at -6. This effort was enough to earn third place in the individual rankings. Register was one of two Tar Heels that finished in the top 10.

NC State’s late third round rally was able to bump them ahead of the Tar Heels and into first place. UNC was able to hang onto to second place with score of -14, only two strokes away from first. While North Carolina may have failed to finish in first place, it was still 13 strokes ahead of third-place Campbell.

The Tar Heels return to action on Saturday when they host the Tar Heel Intercollegiate at Finley Golf Course.

@ballermike28