UNC men's soccer loses, 2-1, to Wake Forest in top-five matchup

CARY — The No. 4 North Carolina men’s soccer team faced its toughest challenge of the season against No. 2 Wake Forest on Friday night. Following a tough back-and-forth affair throughout the game, the Tar Heels (11-2, 4-1 ACC) eventually tired out in the second half as the Demon Deacons (11-1-0, 5-0 ACC) escaped WakeMed Soccer Park with a 2-1 victory.

This game was intense from the very beginning. The two sides were evenly matched for the most part, until Wake Forest midfielder Omir Fernandez broke the tie by penetrating through UNC’s backline of defenders, drilling the ball into the left side of net. This 39th-minute goal gave the Demon Deacons the 1-0 lead heading into halftime.

Shortly after intermission, the Tar Heels promptly responded with a goal of their own as midfielder Cam Lindley provided the 47th-minute equalizer, scoring off a free kick near the top of the penalty box.

The match continued move at a fast pace, with each team looking to find ways to get the advantage over the other. This advantage would occur later in the 66th minute as Wake Forest forward Jon Bakero would score off a one-touch volley following a cross that entered the middle of the box, giving the Demon Deacons a 2-1 edge.

The Tar Heels would not give up without a fight. UNC’s biggest chances to extend the game were in the 77th minute, where forward Alan Winn’s strike went wide right out of frame, and the 86th minute, when forward Jelani Pieters could not finish his last-minute shot from the center of the penalty box.

Having played seven games in the span of the last three weeks, UNC ran out of gas at the end. The Demon Deacons controlled the majority of possession in the second half. They outnumbered the Tar Heels 15 to 10 in shots, 5 to 1 in shots on goal, and 10 to 3 in corner kicks.

While the battle to stay in the match was commendable, the Tar Heels’ last-minute opportunities were not enough to save the game from defeat.

Cam Lindley was the main reason that UNC stayed competitive in this contest. He gave the team its lone goal of the match in the 47th minute, and was the pressing force that kept the Tar Heels within reach at the end of the game.

Although his continued efforts were ultimately unsuccessful, his grit and determination is definitely one positive to take from this loss.

Despite the fact that UNC is still in first place in the Coastal Division, the defeat still drops it to 4-1 in the ACC. Both No. 9 Notre Dame (3-1-1 ACC) and No. 19 Duke (3-2 ACC) aren't too far behind now.

This game alone can also have lasting implications in terms of seeding for the upcoming NCAA Tournament.

The Tar Heels will have the next off before they have travel to face another elite opponent in No. 7 Louisville at the Cardinals' home field. This game will be televised next Friday at 7:30 on ACC Sports Extra.

@keberly1996