UNC men's tennis team puts together underwhelming showing in 2017 ITA Regionals

The North Carolina men's tennis players who participated in the 2017 ITA Regionals in Cary, North Carolina, this past week were all knocked out of competition by Sunday.

In the singles rounds, junior Anu Kodali and sophomore Ladd Harrison were eliminated in the first round of competition. 

Kodali lost to UNC-Wilmington’s Andre Torres, two sets to one. Harrison lost to NC State’s Igor Savelijc, two sets to none. 

Both junior Blaine Boyden and sophomore Kavir Kumar made it to Friday’s second round of singles competition. Boyden, who was the 11th seed in the tournament, lost to Coastal Carolina’s Luis Faria, and Kumar fell to Clemson’s Simon Baudry. 

Sophomore Josh Peck made it to Saturday’s third round before falling to Gardner-Webb’s 17th seeded Maximillian Scholl, and senior Robert Kelly advanced all the way to the singles quarterfinals before losing to 25-seeded Bar Botzer of Wake Forest. 

In doubles, UNC had three pairs compete. Boyden and Peck were eliminated in the first round by UNC-Wilmington’s Raphael Calzi and Ignasi De Rueda duo. Harrison and Kodali made it to Saturday’s second round, before being sent home by NC State’s Igor Savelijc and Ivan Savelijc. Lastly, the duo of Kelly and Simon Soendergaard advanced to the Sunday’s third round before having to withdraw due to injury against Clemson. 

The Tar Heels had an underwhelming showing in this tournament. 

Peck, Kelly and Soendergaard all made appearances past the third round of their respective brackets. Kelly made it all the way to the final eight in the singles bracket before losing to Botzer of Wake Forest. 

Many UNC players went home early — in the first and second rounds. Only three Tar Heels saw third round action. North Carolina started off cold and didn’t turn it around during the weekend. 

After a strong showing in the 2017 Saint Francis Health System ITA Men’s All-American Championships, North Carolina had an off-performance in this tournament. 

Next on the schedule for the men’s tennis team is the UNC Charlotte Invitational in Charlotte, which will take place the weekend of Oct. 27.

@pupadhyaya_