UNC Pauper Players will host their 3rd annual Rocky Horror Picture Show this weekend

The UNC Pauper Players will put on the third annual production of "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" this weekend. Photo courtesy of Drake Broussard.

This Friday and Saturday night, the UNC Pauper Players will host their third annual "Rocky Horror Picture Show" at the Varsity Theatre. Each night, the first show will begin at 9:30 and the second at midnight. The tickets are now sold out. 

For those who are unfamiliar with "Rocky Horror," choreographer Will Leitch describes the show as, “Tim Burton meets Broadway meets a cheap indie film that you really like even though the quality isn’t that great.”

Since its first year at UNC three years ago, every show has sold out. Audience members can expect to interact with the cast members, stand up and dance and bring energy to the show overall. 

"Rocky Horror" is also a great way to get in the Halloween spirit according to the production's director, Collin Williams. 

“You have people cross-dressing, people in lingerie, people in all sorts of weird and wacky stuff," Williams said.

The audience is encouraged to dress up for it and to look as weird as possible. At "Rocky Horror," weird is a good thing.

UNC junior John Edmonds said he is looking forward to going this weekend. He is a "Rocky Horror" virgin, but he has heard of the event before. 

“A friend told me to read 'Perks Of Being A Wallflower' – a story of youth – before I turned twenty. The main character’s attendance at his first 'Rocky Horror' show signifies his first big leap from sheltered childhood to reckless adolescence," Edmonds said. "I’m adolescent, but I could use more recklessness in my life.”

Williams, the director, mentioned how he’s not only looking forward to the audience involvement, but the cast’s performance as well. 

“A big focus I’ve had throughout this process is helping (the cast) find something beautiful about themselves throughout this process and again realizing what they want to become and becoming that on stage," Williams said. "And so far it’s been great. I wanna see that come alive 100 percent on stage Friday and Saturday.”

Williams shared a story highlighting the eccentric nature of "Rocky Horror" from his first year as a cast member. While performing in an old Catwoman leather suit, the crotch ripped, but Williams didn’t realize until after the show. Williams said this experiences captured the essence of "Rocky Horror" — letting go of your fear of how others perceive you, and becoming the person you want to be despite what others think.

Choreographer Leitch said his favorite number to choreograph is “Time Warp.” He said the cast is bringing a lot of energy to the dance this weekend, so the audience should enjoy it as well.

“It’s just something that keeps getting better and better and I love that we can bring sort of a cult-classic, fun, vintage thing to campus. And the people are receiving it so well – the energy, the costumes — and they’re so here for it,” Leitch said. 

Williams mentioned how another song called “Don’t Dream It – Be It,” encompasses the theme of the show. He wants people to feel free to be whoever they want. 

“I feel like that’s what this gives people," Williams said. "To be able to just have fun, forget their worries and just don’t dream it – be it.”

@emmalstrickland