UNC's ONE Campaign celebrates International Day of the Girl with film screening

UNC’s student-led ONE Campaign will be holding a screening of the Netflix original documentary “Daughters of Destiny” on Wednesday from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. in Gardner 105. 

The ONE Campaign at UNC is a campus chapter of a national organization originally founded in efforts to prevent extreme poverty and incurable diseases in sub-Saharan Africa. 

“Daughters of Destiny” focuses on bringing education to girls in India who are within the lower caste and have limited, if any, access to education. 

Reilly Gallagher, president of the ONE Campaign, said it is important to actually see the issues that girls are facing in other parts of the world when it comes to accessing education. 

“I think documentary is a really good way of showing people that other people have it harder,” Gallagher said. “We should do whatever we can to help them get the same resources we already have.”

The national ONE Campaign sets goals and assigns a different theme every couple of months based on the types of bills moving through the senate.

“We have challenges for certain months that are orchestrated by our national head,” Gallagher said. “For the months of September and most of October, we are focusing on getting girls education instituted in sub-Saharan Africa but also other places around the world.”

Screening “Daughters of Destiny” was a deliberate choice due to the ONE Campaign’s theme for the month. Wednesday also marks an important day of recognition during the month of October.

“Wednesday is International Day of the Girl,” Gallagher said. “We wanted to screen a documentary that had to do with getting education to young girls because it is something that is super under-funded right now that we think is important.”

Sarah Stephens, vice president of the ONE Campaign, said coming out to watch the documentary will be a good way to get involved and connect to others with similar viewpoints. 

“Come to the screening because you will be able to talk to other people about the issues in the documentary,” Stephens said. “We will be writing letters to our senators about why they should support the foreign aid budget going towards things like educational opportunities for girls.” 

The ONE Campaign works to influence lawmakers, as well as assist other nonprofit organizations, in getting funding to continue working for different causes.

“The Electrify Africa Act got passed through the House and the Senate because of a lot of work that ONE did advocating for that,” Gallagher said. “(The act) is building infrastructure in sub-Saharan Africa to allow them to have electricity.” 

The ONE Campaign meets every Tuesday at 6 p.m. in Hanes Art Center, room 112.

“If you are interested in international development or ending extreme poverty and preventable diseases, then definitely join ONE Campaign,” Stephens said. “We are super welcoming to new members.”

Junior Kendall Conder said she will attend the event, and people should come to the screening because it gives insight into what is happening in other parts of the world. 

“I think seeing the images and seeing the actual people who are being affected makes the issue hit harder to home,” Conder said. “It’s hard to ignore the issue when it’s right in front of you.”

@beccafiely